Swain Family School of Science and Mathematics
Welcome to The Citadel’s Swain Family School of Science and Mathematics! The School is comprised of six departments: Biology, Chemistry, Health and Human Performance, Mathematics and Computer Science, Nursing and Physics. There are over 50 tenured/tenure-track faculty within the School and over 420 cadets.
Our mission includes providing science and mathematics literacy to the whole student body and to the community; preparing highly qualified K-12 teachers; educating the next-generation scientists and mathematicians; and helping develop the workforce for our high-technology industry.
In order to achieve the above educational mission, our School offers over ten major programs of study leading to bachelor’s degrees, many minor programs, and a number of master’s degree and graduate certificate programs. We also provide broad inter-school instructional support to the core curriculum, and our highly qualified faculty devote enormous effort and energy to teaching while actively engaging in scholarship and service to the Low Country, the State and the Nation. Our learning environment is characterized by small class sizes, an abundance of personal attention, and ample opportunity for interaction between faculty and students.
Points of Pride
- The Citadel has been named a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by the United States Department of Homeland Security and National Security Agency… one of only two colleges in SC to earn the recognition!
- The Citadel receives the largest research grant joint award to date- totaling $2.4 million dollars! The Citadel STEM Center of Excellence, the Zucker Family School of Education, and the School of Science and Mathematics will work to improve the professional development of more than 250 middle and high school teachers in North and South Carolina!
- Cadet Elizabeth Spoehel to train as cyber-warrior with U.S. Department of Defense! Cadet Spoehel, majoring in computer science, was selected to receive the Department of Defense Information Assurance Scholarship and upon graduating in May 2020, she will move to Maryland and begin working with the Department of Defense Space and Naval Warfare Center!
- Undergrad Researchers yield change- making results while refining career paths! Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) program has selected cadets and students and provided stipends for them and their research!
- Our Cyber Team did very well at the 2017 Augusta Cyber Challenge. The team won the "Best Forensics Team" Award ($2500). Here are the team members: Cadet James Andrus (Team Captain), Cadet John Delpizzo, Cadet Richard Honeycutt, Cadet Thitiphop Phucharoen, Cadet Tai Lum, Cadet Andrew Becker, Cadet Michael Gerba, Cadet Scott Deaver, Cadet Brendan Michel. Dr. Shankar Banik and Dr. Jonathan Sun are the faculty advisors for the team!