New Faculty Seminars
The Center for Excellence & Innovation in Teaching, Learning & Distance Education sponsors a year-long series of workshops and seminars for the cohort of first-year / arriving faculty members at The Citadel, aimed at facilitating their transition into the college’s classrooms and campus community and improving their foundational knowledge about a variety of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning and education technology subjects.
Each month, subject-matter experts from across the campus meet with new faculty to facilitate discussion and reflection about a wide range of topics, including but not limited to: course and lesson development, developing a syllabus and other course material, conducting formative and summative assessments, implementing effective classroom management techniques, and adopting strategies for promoting student learning and engagement and improving student motivation and participation.
Following successful completion of Faculty 101, new and arriving faculty will receive a certificate marking their improved ability to:
- Define principles and strategies for excellence in learning-centered, evidence-based pedagogical best practices.
- Develop activities and lesson plans that align with clearly defined and articulated course and lesson learning objectives.
- Communicate their teaching philosophy.
- Compile a teaching portfolio.
- Reflect upon and conduct self-assessment of their teaching practice.
- Leverage education technology in face-to-face, online, and hybrid teaching environments.