History of The Gold Star Journal
Year and Reason for The Gold Star Journal
- July 1996, The Gold Star Journal was founded. The journal provides Citadel students, both graduate and undergraduate students, the opportunity to publish well written research papers, which were required for a class.
- The 1997 edition is the only one to have a hand-drawn cover.
- The covers of the 1998-2004 editions featured a photograph taken by campus photographer Russ Pace.
- Since 2005, the cover has included the stars and bars, the name of the journal, the year, and the Citadel seal. With the 2005 edition, the four color photograph moved to the inside cover.
- 2006 was the only edition to be printed completely in color.
- From 1997-2008, The Gold Star Journal was published on campus by the staff of The Citadel Print Shop.
- Mr. Kevin Metzger (previously of Multimedia); Dr. Suzanne Mabrouk; and the 2008 editors Leon Hontz, Trey Williams, and Thomas Sullivan designed a seal for the publication. Since 2008, it has been included in each edition. 2012, the GSJ seal replaced The Citadel seal on the cover. The GSJ seal appears in the banner at the top of all GSJ web pages. This seal includes the Latin words Honoris Causa, which means "for the sake of the honor."
- In 2011, the Best Overall Paper Submission Award was first given.
- In 2012, the Best Photograph Award was first given.
- In 2014, the Best Undergraduate Paper Submission Award was given.
- 1996-1997 was the only year in which all editors were sophomores.
- The founding editors (Bradley Moorer, Joshua Jenkins, and Christopher McFarland) served two sequential years as editors of the journal.
- Since 2007, editors have served three sequential years.
- Only three graduate students have ever been published in the journal: Priyadarshini Mukherjee (1997), Kathryn Hyman (2005), and Thomas A. Gorman, Jr. (2013).
- Several freshmen have been published in the journal: Chris Paige (1999), Matthew Gryder (2007), Thomas Sullivan (2007), Frankie Dioguardi (2009), and Jane Ma (2012).
Hall of Fame
- In 2005, The Gold Star Journal was a Special Merit Award Recipient in the Other Magazines Category of The Case District III Advancement Awards Program. The entry included the 2004, 2003, and 2002 editions of The Gold Star Journal.
- The following editors served three academic years: Leon Hontz (2006-2009), Trey Williams (2007-2010), Thomas Sullivan (2007-2010), Taylor Gilliam (2008-2011), Mark Shaw (2009-2012), Lance Braye (2010-2013), and Ryan Boodee (2011-2014).
- The following editors served two academic years: Bradley Moorer (1996-1998), Joshua Jenkins (1996-1998), Christopher McFarland (1996-1998), Joseph Rohe (2001-2003), John Bergmans (2004-2006), Matthew Harakas (2004-2006), Timothy Devine (2004-2006), and James Russell (2005-2007).
- The following published authors became an editor the subsequent academic year: Walter Zink (1998), Stephen Foland (2001), Thomas Sullivan (2007), Jane Ma (2012), and Robert Keener III (2012).
- The following students were published multiple times in the journal: David Leaumont (twice in 1997), Dean Sproles (1997 & 1998), Anastasiya Smertina (2001 & 2002), Marttin Periola (2009, 2010, & 2011), Lance Braye (2011, 2012, & 2013), Matthew Selmasska (2011 & 2012), John Riser (2011 & 2012), Franklin McGuire, Jr. (2012 & 2013), Robert Keener (2012 & 2014), and Jane Ma (2012 & 2014).