Any student, who has been accepted into a Citadel program and is in good standing at the school, is welcome to submit one’s own original work to The Gold Star Journal.
What is a Photo Story?
A photo story is a story mostly told through photographs with minimal prose. Submitted photo stories should feature 9-12 photographs. The author must have taken the submitted photographs and written the accompanying prose. The photo story can not have been previously published.
* When the photo story is published, the author must be a current student in good standing at The Citadel. The student must also have been accepted into a Citadel program.
Please include all of the following items for consideration of your photo story:
In order to publish with The Gold Star Journal, the following criteria must be met:
- Author is a current student in good standing at The Citadel and has been accepted into a Citadel program;
- Author will be a student in good standing in the spring semester, when this Work could potentially be published if accepted;
- The Work is original and was completely created by the Author;
- Author is vested with sole ownership and with the power to convey all rights that are granted and assigned in this Agreement, and that Author has full power to make this Agreement;
- The copyright has not previously been assigned nor the Work published elsewhere;
- The Work has not been and will not be submitted for publication while it is under consideration for publication in The Gold Star Journal at The Citadel;
- The Work does not infringe any valid copyright or other proprietary right of any other person. The Work cites all consulted references, according to the academic discipline.
- The Work does not infringe on the privacy of others; and
- The Work contains no obscene, libelous, defamatory, or other unlawful material.
Prose of Photo Story
Write a brief story of no more than 250 words.
The paper should start with the title of the photo story followed by the prose. There should not be any title page.
Please remove your name, course name, and professor’s name from the document. Since photo stories will be reviewed anonymously, your name should not appear in the submitted document or in the filename.
Please name your photo story file with an abbreviated title of the work followed by the word story.
Submit Word files (.doc or .docx) only.
You may submit up to three of your best photo stories, although only one will potentially be accepted for publication.
The photo story should include 9-12 high quality photographs of at least 300 dpi.
Submit .jpg files only.
Please name each photograph with an abbreviated title of the picture.
Biography of Author
The biographical sketch of the author should include the following information: the class year, cadet company, major(s), minor(s), scholastic accomplishments, activities, hobbies, and career goals. It should not exceed 80 words. The biography of the author will accompany the paper in the printed journal.
Kristy T. Jenkins, a junior from Charleston, SC, is a member of Band Company. She is an English major with a minor in Fine Arts. Kristy is Secretary of her class. She is a member of the Protestant Color Guard and the Pre-Law Society. Kristy enjoys reading and playing her flute. She plans to attend law school and to become a city prosecutor.
Signed Publishing Contract
Download the Photo Story Publishing Contract.
On the first page of the contract, fill-in your name, title of the photo story, and title of each photograph. Write your initials at the bottom of each page of the contract. On the last page, print your full name, sign, and date the contract.
Please name the contract file with the same abbreviated title of the photo story followed by the words story contract.
If you submit more than one photo story, you must submit separate contracts for each one.
Contracts must be submitted as pdf files.
Signed Subject Contract (If applicable.)
If there are any people who can be recognized in any of the submitted photographs, then the photographer must obtain signed permission of each person.
Download the Subject Contract, if applicable.
Please name the subject contract file with the same abbreviated title as for the photo story followed by the words subject contract.
Contracts must be submitted as pdf files.
Current editors will review submissions for originality, creativity, writing, and quality photography.
The author bears the sole responsibility for their articles and as such are liable for any infringement of copyright, proprietary rights, and privacy; defamation of character; obscenities; and libelous and unlawful material. The Gold Star Journal bears no responsibility for statements made by authors in their published articles. The Citadel and The Gold Star Journal are not liable for any article published in the journal.
The information you provide on this form will only be used by the staff of The Gold Star Journal for the following purposes:
- to determine if your submission is acceptable for publication and
- to communicate with you regarding your submission.
We will not provide your information or the fact that you made a submission to anyone outside of our staff. We respect your privacy.
Accepted Photo Stories and the Final Process
By early March, authors will be notified if their submission has been accepted or not. Following conditional acceptance, editors will provide feedback for revising the text. The selected authors will then revise the prose and re-submit it. Editors will review the re-submitted prose, make final decisions, and contact each author with the news. The editors will revise the accepted photo stories and send a PDF to the authors for final approval.