Now Accepting Submissions for 2025 Edition until December 14th.
Any student, who has been accepted into a Citadel program and is in good standing at the school, is welcome to submit one’s own original work to The Gold Star Journal.
Photograph and Artwork Information
Students may submit original (not previously published) photographs or scanned pictures of original (not previously published) artwork (drawings, paintings, etc.). The submitter must be the person who took the picture or created the artwork. Photographs and scanned pictures of artwork should be submitted on this page, according to the requirements described below.
* When the work is published, the photographer or artist must be a student in good standing at The Citadel. The student must also have been accepted into a Citadel program.
Please include all of the following items for consideration of your photographs and/or artwork:
Photographer and Artist Requirements
In order to publish with The Gold Star Journal, the following criteria must be met:
- Artist is a current student in good standing at The Citadel and has been accepted into a Citadel program;
- Artist will be a student in good standing in the spring semester, when this Work could potentially be published if accepted;
- The Work is original and was completely created by the Artist;
- Artist is vested with sole ownership and with the power to convey all rights that are granted and assigned in this Agreement, and that Artist has full power to make this Agreement;
- The copyright has not previously been assigned nor the Work published elsewhere;
- The Work has not been and will not be submitted for publication while it is under consideration for publication in The Gold Star Journal at The Citadel;
- The Work does not infringe any valid copyright or other proprietary right of any other person;
- The Work does not infringe on the privacy of others; and
- The Work contains no obscene, libelous, defamatory, or other unlawful material.
Photographs or Scanned File of Artwork
Submit high quality photographs of at least 300 dpi or a high quality scan of artwork.
Since photographs and artwork will be reviewed anonymously, please do not include your name in the filename. Thank you.
Please name your photograph or scanned file with an abbreviated title of the photograph or artwork followed by the word photo, drawing, painting, etc. (The standard naming of photos by cameras must be replaced by an abbreviated title of the photo or it will not be considered.)
Submit .jpg files only.
You may submit up to twenty photographs or pieces of artwork for consideration.
Biography of Student
The biographical sketch of the student should include the following information: the class year, cadet company, major(s), minor(s), scholastic accomplishments, activities, hobbies, and career goals. It should not exceed 80 words. The biography of the student will appear in the journal.
Nancy K. Winston, a senior from Hoboken, GA, is company commander of Kilo. She is a chemistry major and fine arts minor. She aspires to become a college professor of organic chemistry. Nancy has been on the Dean’s List every semester. She is a member of the Debate Team, the ACS Affiliates Club, and the Sphinx staff.
Signed Publishing Contract
Download the Photography Contract.
On the first page of the contract, fill-in your name and title of the work. Write your initials at the bottom of each page. On the last page, print your full name, sign, and date the contract.
One contract may be used for all submitted photographs and artwork.
Please name the contract file with the same abbreviated title of the work followed by the words photography contract.
Contracts must be submitted as pdf files.
Signed Subject Contract (If applicable.)
If there are any people who can be recognized in the submitted photograph, then the photographer must obtain signed permission of each person.
Download the Subject Contract, if applicable.
Please name the subject contract file with the same abbreviated title of the photograph followed by the words subject contract.
Contracts must be submitted as pdf files.
The editors will review all submitted photographs and artwork and select the best ones for inclusion in the latest journal. The selected photographs and artwork will also be used on the GSJ web site.
The author bears the sole responsibility for their articles and as such are liable for any infringement of copyright, proprietary rights, and privacy; defamation of character; obscenities; and libelous and unlawful material. The Gold Star Journal bears no responsibility for statements made by authors in their published articles. The Citadel and The Gold Star Journal are not liable for any article published in the journal.
The information you provide on this form will only be used by the staff of The Gold Star Journal for the following purposes:
- to determine if your submission is acceptable for publication and
- to communicate with you regarding your submission.
We will not provide your information or the fact that you made a submission to anyone outside of our staff. We respect your privacy.
Accepted Photographs/Artwork and the Final Process
By mid March, photographers and artists will be notified if their submissions have been accepted or not.