Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the purpose of The Gold Star Journal?
- How do students become editors of The Gold Star Journal?
- How do students write for the journal?
- What kinds of papers does the journal accept?
- How does one submit a paper to The Gold Star Journal?
- How does one submit a photograph to The Gold Star Journal?
- Can only Gold Star students be published in the journal or serve as editors?
- How are papers selected for publication?
- How is The Gold Star Journal funded?
- On what does The Gold Star Journal use funds?
The Gold Star Journal was founded as a way to provide additional recognition to Citadel students of a well-written research paper beyond the grade. Published authors can list this accomplishment on their resume for professional employment or graduate school.
Students do not write for the journal. Students submit papers that were written for a college course (Citadel course, study abroad program, Washington program, or semester away).
The Gold Star Journal publishes nonfiction papers only.
Any Citadel student, graduate or undergraduate, may be published in the journal or serve as an editor, regardless of level of academic achievement. The journal was named in honor of the actual Gold Stars that cadets earn.
All submissions are reviewed by the current editors for clarity, depth, originality, organization, and writing. The editors try select the best papers from different disciplines to show the broad spectrum of academic achievement across the curriculum.
From July 1996 through 2010, The Gold Star Journal was supported by The Citadel Foundation through The Office of The Provost. In 2007 and 2008, several textbook publishers provided some funds as well. Since 2011, the funds from The Citadel Foundation have been supplemented with donations from Citadel alumni and friends. If you would like to make a donation to support The Gold Star Journal, please consult our Donations Page.
The majority of all funds are used to print the journal. Since 2012, financial awards have been offered for:
- The Best Overall Paper
- The Best Graduate Paper
- The Best Undergraduate Paper and
- The Best Photograph