Transfer Credit Policy
In addition to the information provided below, students may view their academic catalog for additional details:
Current Citadel students must submit a Transient Permission Form to the Office of the Registrar prior to taking courses at another college.
The Citadel requires that the following guidelines be met for a course to be accepted for transfer credit:
- Students who are not maintaining the minimum GPR for continuance must take coursework at The Citadel. See current catalog for GPR requirements.
- A course must be taken at an accredited institution.
- There must be a comparable course offered by The Citadel.
- A grade of "C-" or better must be earned. For graduate students a grade of “B-” or higher must be earned.
- When selecting another college/university, make sure you know whether it is on a semester or quarter hour system. One quarter hour does not equal one semester hour.
- Courses graded on a Pass/Fail basis (typically identified as a grade of "P" or "F" on a transcript) will only be considered if the institution where the courses were completed indicates in their published grade scale that a "Pass" or grade "P" is equivalent to a grade of "C-" or better.
- Credit hour value of transfer courses must be equal to or greater than The Citadel course for which substitution is sought; however, credits transferred will not exceed those of The Citadel equivalent.
- Courses previously passed at The Citadel are not acceptable for transfer.
- Permission to take approved course(s) does not waive residency requirements at The Citadel, specifically:
i. One-half of all credits applied toward a degree must be earned at The Citadel.
ii. 30 of the last 37 hours must be obtained at The Citadel and these hours must be
earned within 5 years of the data of graduation.
- No more than four courses and their associated labs totaling not more than 14 credit hours (2 courses each summer term) may be transferred for summer sessions. No more than one course totaling three credit hours may be transferred during Maymester. Any exception to the number of hours that may be earned during a summer session or to the total number of hours that may be earned during summer school must be approved by the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs.
- Quality points do not transfer, thus your GPR is not affected by courses taken at other colleges.
- A signed transient form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to taking courses at another college
- The Citadel will accept no transfer credits earned while a student is on academic or conduct discharge or while conduct charges are pending.
- Not all courses count as transfer credit. For instance, CEU's or what is known as Continuing Education Units, Remedial Course credits, and Credit-by-exam earned at other institutions are not generally counted as transfer credit.
- You must request that an official transcript from the other college/university be sent directly to The Citadel Registrar's Office. Credits will not be awarded until the official transcript is received. Hand delivered transcripts or grade reports will not be accepted.
The Citadel Graduate College does permit up to 12 hours of transfer credit from other accredited higher education institutions and from military education and training recommended for credit by the American Council on Education (see Military Course Work Policy).
No more than 12 hours may be transferred from other accredited colleges or universities (e.g. Southern Association of Colleges, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, etc.). Exceptions may be granted by the Associate Provost of Enrollment Management. Only graduate credit hours in which grades of “B-” or higher have been earned are transferable. Some programs allow fewer hours of transfer credit. Students should check the requirements for specific programs for the maximum number of credit hours that may be transferred into his or her program at The Citadel.