Frequently Asked Questions
For Summer 2020 applicants, due to COVID-19, testing requirements are waived for students with an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- What is the online experience like (live lectures, etc)?
Some classes have optional live online lectures; most work is asynchronous. Since the classes are online, there are not set hours for class, allowing students to complete work at their pace. Lectures are also recorded and embedded in course. Weekly discussion boards and video technology are utilized.
- Does the online format provide the same quality education offered by a traditional campus?
Absolutely, we use the exact same standards and every course is evaluated using an online parity matrix and approved prior to being taught. Online classes are taught by the same professors as in-person classes covering the same set curriculum.
- Is it possible to work full-time while completing my degree?
Yes, most of our students are working full time.
- How is School of Business accredited?
The Tommy & Victoria Baker School of Business at The Citadel is accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB International accreditation represents the highest standard of achievement for business schools worldwide. Institutions that earn accreditation confirm their commitment to quality and continuous improvement through a rigorous and comprehensive peer review. AACSB accreditation is the symbol of excellence in business education.
- How many credits is the MBA?
The MBA program consists of 36 credit hours (2 essential courses, 7 core courses, 2 electives and 1 capstone).
- What is the time commitment for this program? How flexible is the schedule?
Programming is offered on a yearly rotation and we have classes starting 6 times a year (programs start every 8 weeks). The commitment is based on how long you want to take to graduate. We work with you to meet your goals. On average, students finish in 2 years, but one can finish as quickly as 1 year as a full-time student.
- Do I have to take the GMAT or GRE to be accepted into this program?
For the MBA program we do have a testing requirement. This can be waived with professionals that have 10 years of work experience and/or a previous master’s degree.
- Do I have to live a military lifestyle like the Corps of Cadets to participate in this program?
No, this is a completely online program and you still work and live in your community while attending our classes. There are no uniform or physical fitness requirements. While we welcome those, who come from a military background, it is not required.
- Does The Citadel accept transfer credits?
Yes, up to 6 hours, pending department approval.
- What campus resources are available to me?
Online students have access to all resources made available to those students on campus. Here are links to available resources: Career Center, Student Success Center, Daniel Library and The Citadel Bookstore.
- How large will my classes be?
The average class size is 18 students.
- What happens if I am suddenly deployed or need to take a leave of absence from a course or the entire program?
We have many students who are deployed and take a break for a term. Most deployed students continue their studies, the online and asynchronous nature allows the program to be completed in your own time wherever you are in the world. Our institution works well with active duty, veterans and working professionals to do our best to meet your needs.
- Are there networking opportunities for online students?
Yes, online students are invited to join the active Citadel MBA private LinkedIn group and can partake in any of the yearly networking events.
- Can online students participate in the graduation ceremony?
Yes, all our students are invited to participate in commencement practices on The Citadel’s campus.
- What credentials do the faculty have?
A vast majority of professors have a Ph.D. To learn more, please our faculty and staff page.
- What materials do I need to submit with my application?
The following materials are required in addition to a complete application: resume, undergraduate transcript, GRE/GMAT test scores, and 2 letters of recommendation.For more information about supplemental materials, please refer to the Admissions Requirements page or contact us.
- What kind of financial aid or scholarships are available?
To learn more about these opportunities, please visit the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships page.