Transfer Credit Policy
The information provided below includes the Transient Permission Form, Transfer Credit Guidelines, and information on transfer credits for The Graduate College. In addition to the information provided below, students may view their academic catalog for Cadets and Graduate students for additional details:
Current Citadel students must submit a Transient Permission Form to the Office of the Registrar prior to taking courses at another college.
Transfer Credit Guidelines
Please read the Transfer Credit Guidelines carefully.
- Students who are not maintaining the minimum GPR for continuance must take coursework at The Citadel. See current catalog for GPR requirements.
- Transfer credits must be from accredited institutions.
- The transfer credit must be comparable to a Citadel course.
- Students must earn a grade of “C-” or better. Graduate students must earn a grade of “B-” or higher.
- When selecting another college/university, make sure you know whether it is on a semester or quarter hour system. One quarter hour does not equal one semester hour.
- Accepted courses graded on a Pass/Fail basis (“P” or “F”) must be equivalent to a “C-” or better.
- The Citadel course a student wants to substitute must be equal to or greater than the credit hour value of the transfer courses; however, credits transferred will not exceed those of The Citadel equivalent.
- Courses previously passed at The Citadel are not acceptable for transfer.
- Permission to take an approved course(s) does not waive residency requirements at The Citadel, specifically:
i. One-half of credits applied toward a degree must be earned at The Citadel.
ii. Students must obtain 30 of the last 37 hours earned within 5 years of the date of graduation at The Citadel.
- Transferrable credits for summer sessions includes no more than four courses and their associated labs totaling not more than 14 credit hours (2 courses each summer term). Transferrable credits taken during Maymester can be no more than one course totaling three credit hours. The Associate Provost for Academic Affairs must approve an exception to the number of hours earned during a summer session or the total number of hours earned during summer school.
- GPR is not affected by courses taken at other colleges because quality points do not transfer.
- Submit a signed transient form to the Office of the Registrar before taking courses at another college
- The Citadel will accept no transfer credits earned while a student is on academic or conduct discharge or while conduct charges are pending.
- Not all courses count as transfer credit. For instance, Continuing Education Units (CEUs), Remedial Course credits, and Credit-by-exam earned at other institutions may not be counted as transfer credit.
- Send an official transcript from the other college/university to The Citadel Registrar’s Office. The transcript must be received for the be awarded the credits. The Citadel does not accept hand delivered transcripts or grade reports.
The Citadel Graduate College does permit up to 12 hours of transfer credit from other accredited higher education institutions and from military education and training recommended for credit by the American Council on Education (see Military Course Work Policy).
Credits from other accredited colleges or universities are not transferrable after 12 hours (e.g. Southern Association of Colleges, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, etc.). The Associate Provost of Enrollment Management may grant exceptions. Transferable graduate credit hours must be a “B-” or higher. Some programs allow fewer hours of transfer credit. Check the maximum number of transferable credit hours for specific programs.