- Apply to a regionally accredited technical college (or other regionally accredited college or university).
- Submit SAT/ACT scores or take a technical college’s placement exam.
- Visit the Technical College’s Orientation Center to be assigned an advisor.
- Meet with your advisor to fill out a 2+2 enrollment form.
- Complete the specified courses at the technical college with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
- Apply to The Citadel.
- Complete the evening undergraduate application at The Citadel.
- Submit all official transcripts from regionally accredited colleges or universities attended. Courses with a grade of C or higher will be considered for transfer to The Citadel. All transcripts must be received in order for the application to be complete and reviewed.
- Meet with your Citadel advisors.
Students may begin taking Citadel courses at any time as long as a minimum of 24 college credit hours have been transferred to The Citadel and prerequisites have been met.
Admission to Upper Level Education Courses
To be admitted to upper level Education courses, the teacher candidate must have the support of his or her advisor relative to suitability and interest in teacher education and must also have:
- Official passing scores on all three parts of PRAXIS I exams on file at The Citadel;
- Maintained a cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.750 or higher on coursework taken at The Citadel;
- Passed EDUC 101.
Admission to the Student Teaching Internship (EDUC 499)
Teacher candidates must make a formal application for admission to the student teaching internship to both The Citadel and the South Carolina State Department of Education no later than two semesters prior to the student teaching internship semester. The State of South Carolina will provide a status update as “cleared” or “not cleared” to the ZFSOE based on background checks and other information they receive to determine candidate suitability. If a concern arises in regards to suitability through the State, the teacher candidate must follow up directly with the South Carolina Department of Education. The Citadel application packet will be reviewed by the Director of Field Experiences and Internships as well as the Teacher Education faculty. Once candidates are approved, they will receive notification of admission to internship through the School of Education. To begin the internship, the student must have:
Acceptable disposition evaluations -
- Completed all professional education courses and content coursework with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.750;
- Completed successfully all previous field experiences;
- Have on file at The Citadel official records of the appropriate PRAXIS I, PRAXIS II test score(s) and the appropriate PRAXIS II - Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT)* test score;
- Have on file from the South Carolina State Department of Education, clearance through the FBI and SLED, at The Citadel.
*Note: It is strongly recommended that students take the PLT as soon as they have completed EDUC 101, EDUC 202 and EDUC 312.
To meet graduation requirements, the Teacher Candidate must complete all requirements for their teaching field with a GPA of at least 2.750. In addition, the candidate must have passing scores on the appropriate PRAXIS I, PRAXIS II and Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) exams on file at The Citadel. A grade of “B” or better in EDUC 499 is necessary to qualify for recommendation for South Carolina teacher licensure (certification).