Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent. - NACE
The Citadel's Campus INTERNSHIP PROCESS
Click To Download Electronic
INTERNSHIP AGREEMENT FORM, which includes:
- Academic internships are for credit. These typically apply for academic juniors and seniors - see department advisor for exceptions
- Minimum 2.5 GPA, approval from academic department, and student is at a place in academic studies where department encourages internships
- Cadet internships cannot interfere with academic classes, Leadership Training, or Friday Parade (see White Book for exceptions)
- Student can commit a minimum 10hrs weekly (2-3 days weekly during fall/spring semester) or hours agreed upon by academic advisor
- "Contact hours" are typically 90 hrs -120 hrs /16 weeks or 10 week summer session
- Student has secured internship independently, through The Career Center, from a referral from department advisor, or outside source that meets department internship guidelines
- Student registers for internship course and completes Internship Agreement Forms
- Special circumstances are referred to the Career Center.
Searching for leads:
- Cadet Guidelines - White Book Internship Policy
- Academic Internship Guidelines for students (pages 35-39)
- Pre-Internship Self Rated Assessment (complete before you begin your internship)
- Post-Internship Self Rated Assessment (complete after you finish your internship)
- Suggested Reading: How to Talk To Anyone: 92 Tricks For Big Success In Relationships
- Suggested Reading: Making The Most Of Your Internship
COVID- 19 Internship Update
- Student safety is a priority. Read this article from NACE about the vaccine in relation to your internship.
- Communicate with internship sites and advisors regarding adjusting schedules or requirements (if unable to complete hours) due to COVID-19.
- Students should not to report to an internship site if the CDC/Citadel instructs them not to.
- TEMPLATES FOR COMMUNICATING WITH SUPERVISORS.
Campus Federal Work Study Information
Cadets approved for federal campus work-study positions are allowed to work 10 hrs/week. 5th year, veterans, EUG, may work up to 15 hrs/week, graduate students are allowed to work up to 20 hrs/week. While these may not qualify as formal internships, it is a good way to get work experience on campus. Depending on department, if can also qualify as an internship.
- Contact Traci Singleton - Office of Financial Aid to determine eligibility /email@example.com / Bond Hall 138
- Once approved, contact Cailyn O'Leary - Office of Human Resources / firstname.lastname@example.org / 97 Hagood Avenue
Cadets Special Leave Circumstances and found in Chapter 4 Section 4 - The White Book
Internships with reoccurring conflicts which may prohibit cadets from participating should be referred to email@example.com. Cadet will be asked to provide written documentation for review and referral to appropriate campus resource.
- Special Circumstances can be found here
- Helpful guidelines for TACS