Welcome to Information Security at The Citadel. The purpose of this site is to inform our community of the resources available to report cyber threats.
To report a phishing email or a dangerous email to ITS, please forward the email message to email@example.com
- For many businesses and higher education environments, phishing has recently become a major concern. Giving up your credentials may cause disruptions in your service or unauthorized access to your account by individuals with nefarious intentions.
- Dangerous emails containing attachments and viruses also represent a significant risk to our computing environment. You should never open an email attachment from an unrecognized contact. Opening these types of files could create vulnerabilities on your computer and our network and allow unauthorized access to private or confidential information.
If you are unsure about an attachment included with an email or if you suspect a virus may be on your computer, please contact the ITS Help Center at (843) 953-HELP.
Please Note: ITS will never ask you for your username and password to validate your identify or to confirm your accounts.
Cyber threats are not isolated to emails alone, below is a list of examples of events that you should report to ITS:
- Abuse of an electronic system
- You are a target of a "Social Engineering"
(Example: Someone calls you or emails you "pretending" to be a system administrator and asks you for your passwords, pin numbers, personal information, etc.)
- You notice unauthorized changes to a system you administer
- You suspect that someone's account may have been used or tampered with by another individual
- A compromise of college data
- You notice internal or external Citadel website defacements
- You notice scans of your workstation that you did not permit
- Electronic harassment
Remember! It is your responsibility to help keep The Citadel's data, systems, and accounts safe. Always report these types of events to firstname.lastname@example.org
If an incident is considered a crime:
- Call the Public Safety department to report the crime (843-953-5114)
- Do not delete offending email/data from your computer until you have contacted your local police and they instruct you to do so.
If you ever have any questions about IT Security, please contact the ITS Help Center at (843) 953-HELP.