The Citadel In DC
IMPORTANT DATES FOR CITADEL IN DC 2019:
- February 25, 2019 - Citadel in DC Meet-Up at 3:00 in The Citadel Career Center
- February 25, 2019 - Scholarship Cover Letters dues to firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 8, 2019 - Scholarship Awards announced
- March 18, 2019 - $500 Housing deposit due
- May 1, 2019 - What to expect and final preparations!
Overview: The Citadel in DC is a 9 to 10-week summer program (depending on internship) in Washington DC from Sat. June 1st - 2nd week in August. The experience involves living, learning and interning using Washington, DC as an active classroom. Students can earn up to 9 academic credits - 3 academic/6 internship.
Internship (6 academic credits): The internship is an opportunity to gain real-world experience, engage professionally, and to open future opportunities in a competitive market through networking and professional development. The Citadel Career Center supports all applicants with leads and connections. Students are responsible for being active participants in the internship application process including: developing resumes and other application documents, applying to and following up with multiple employers, and engaging in the competitive interview processes.
Past Internship Sites for The Citadel in DC:
How to Find an Internship: Be sure to check your HANDSHAKE account for hundreds of active internship leads, visit our internship link for additional resources and visit The Citadel Career Center Monday - Thursday, 1:00 - 4:00 PM, for drop-in hours.
Potential Sites to Consider:
Academic Coursework (3 academic credits): The 3 hour interdisciplinary course appeals to all majors and years and focuses on assessing and analyzing a variety of intelligence. Taught online and at various DC locations, students sharpen visual perception, intelligence gathering, and communication skills. Assignments include weekly reflections, online assessments, a midterm, and a final project.
Alumni Support: The Citadel Club of Greater Washington hosts structured and other impromptu events for students including: a Welcome to DC dinner, The Marine Corps 8th & I Parade, a Washington Nationals game and other events. Additionally, students are partnered with an alumni mentor for support, advice and direction.
Majors, Enrollment & Academic Eligibility: All academic majors and classes are eligible to apply, and students must meet the following guidelines:
- Minimum 2.5 GPA for upperclassmen - Minimum 3.0 GPA for freshmen
- Good financial standing (no outstanding fees owed to the college)
- Clearance from The Commandant’s Department (no major disciplinary infractions)
Scholarships: Scholarships are available from $1,000 - $3,200. All students are encouraged to submit a scholarship application. Awards will be made after Spring Break and will be awarded based on factors including:
- Strength of Application and engagement in the internship application process
- Suitability for the program
- Academic Standing
- Financial Need
Housing and Amenities: Students live at Catholic University in a residence hall environment with other Citadel students and students from other colleges. Students will have access to public transit, cafeteria options, and other amenities including free laundry, access to a gym, and paid parking.
- Catholic University Intern Housing Rules and Regulations
- Housing Safety and Services
- Optional Meal Plans
- Catholic University Parking (students register and pay at move in)
Applications: APPLICATIONS FOR SUMMER 2019 ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED. If you have any questions, please visit The Citadel Career Center for drop-in hours Monday - Thursday, 1:00 - 4:00 PM, or e-mail us at email@example.com.