M.Ed. in Literacy Education
The Master of Education in Literacy Education prepares students to have the knowledge, skills and dispositions which are required of quality literacy teachers and literacy coaches. A comprehensive understanding of the reading process is developed for students who are committed to improve the literacy skills of children and young adults.
The program is a 36 hour program which consists of 2 core requirements and 10 literacy courses. Students are required to complete a program completion portfolio in livetext prior to graduation and are required to have a passing score on the PRAXIS II prior to graduation. Completion of degree and requisite years of teaching experience certifies teachers as both literacy teacher and literacy coach and additionally meets the state requirement of Read to Succeed Endorsement. It is recommended that students contact Dr. Britnie Kane to plan a program of study to assure that a proper sequence of courses is developed.
Requirements for Admission:
- A Graduate Admission Test is NOT required.
- Graduate Application (online) and non-refundable application fee.
- Submission of official transcripts reflecting the baccalaureate degree and any graduate coursework delivered directly from the accredited college or university attended. Applicants are expected to have a 2.5 cumulative undergraduate grade point average.
- Submission of a valid South Carolina teaching certificate.
- Applicants must be in good standing with the State Board of Education at the time of acceptance.
- Students must meet with their advisor for program advisement and course sequence planning. This advisement meeting must take place before registration can occur for the first semester of enrollment.
Students accepted into the Master of Education in Literacy Education are automatically enrolled in the Graduate Certificate in Literacy Education program.
All courses should be taken in sequence as in the program of study.
Professional Core Requirements-6 semester hours
EDUC-536 Educational Psychology
and select one course from the following:
EDUC-512 Data Collection and Analysis
EDUC-549 Applied Measurement Techniques
Professional Educational Specialization-30 semester hours
EDUC-570 Developing Literacy Skills with At Risk Readers
EDUC-588 Foundations of Literacy
EDUC-589 Methods and Materials for Developing Literacy Skills
EDUC-590 Literacy Assessment and Instruction
EDUC-591 Practicum in Literacy Education
EDUC-592 Teaching Reading and Writing in the Middle and High School Content Areas
EDUC-594 Internship in Literacy Education
EDUC-608 Literature for Children and Adolescents
EDUC-642 Coaching in Literacy Education
EDUC-643 Action Research in Literacy Coaching