- Total Credits: 30
- Now accepting applications
The Citadel is currently offering educators a 25% discount on tuition for students who join the M.Ed. in Literacy Education as part of a cohort that includes coursework for the ESOL certification and R2S Literacy Teacher Add-on Endorsement. Our 30-credit hour program is designed for PK-12 teachers, in all content areas, who want to better support students to develop skills in language and literacy. If you’ve ever been at a loss as to how to reach English language learners, speakers of a variety of dialects, or those who need more support with reading and writing (in print and online), this program is for you.
Benefits of the Program
- 30 credit hours (10 courses), instead of the traditional 36 credit hours
- Face-to-face (in your school district or on The Citadel’s campus), hybrid, and online options, depending on the cohort you join
- Multiple endorsements and certificates gained with the M.Ed. in Literacy Education:
- All 4 Read2Succeed Literacy Teacher Endorsement courses
- All 5 ESOL certification courses
- 1 course in literacy coaching
What Courses Will I Take?
With the M.Ed. in Literacy, you can meet all your R2S requirements and complete coursework for your state Literacy Teacher & ESOL certification.
- EDUC 570: Teaching Reading and Writing with ELLs and Students from Historically Marginalized Communities**
- EDUC 588: Foundations in Literacy*
- EDUC 591: Practicum in Literacy Assessment and Instruction*
- EDUC 592: Teaching Language and Literacy across the Content Areas***
- EDUC 608: Teaching Literacy in a Balanced Literacy Classroom*
- EDUC 642: Literacy Coaching
- EDUC 665: Cultural and Linguistic Diversity in Education**
- EDUC 667: Linguistics for Educators**
- EDUC 668: Principles and Strategies for Supporting K-12 ELLs**
- EDUC 512: Data Collection and Analysis
* Read2Succeed Add-on Literacy Teacher Endorsement Courses
** ESOL Certification Courses
*** R2S & ESOL Courses
- Earn your M.Ed. in Literacy Education while obtaining your Read2Succeed Literacy Teacher Add-on Endorsement and state ESOL certification in less time than other programs in the state.
- We are a teaching institution where we value and prioritize using the methods that we espouse with graduate students, so that you can see them in use and so that you, too, are supported as a learner.
- We offer coursework in multiple modalities, and we are constantly finding new ways to make technology improve your professional learning, rather than stand in its way.
How Do I Apply?
- Graduate Application
- You need a 2.5 GPA, a copy of your official transcripts from your undergraduate institution, and a valid ID.
- To waive the $40 application fee, please email the program coordinator, Dr. Britnie Delinger Kane, for a code.
Will it be fully online?
When you enter with a cohort, your school district will determine the modality through which coursework will be offered. We offer fully online, face to face (in your school district), and hybrid options.
What is a cohort?
A cohort is a group of at least 15 educators who sign up to enter the program together. This allows you to build a strong network of similarly dedicated and knowledgeable professionals with whom you can collaborate, both during the program and long after. If you are interested but don’t have a cohort, no problem. Apply with us. We will check on the feasibility of helping you to join a cohort.
How many semesters will it take to complete my degree?
5 semesters, or approximately 1.5 years
What is the cost of the program?
There is currently a 25% tuition discount for this program. Please see the college’s tuition and fees for the most up-to-date costs. The discount is applied to the credit hour fees.
Is financial aid available?
You can contact our Office of Financial Aid to discuss payment options, as there is federal financial aid available. Be sure to ask about the South Carolina Teacher’s Loan, which may qualify you for up to $5,000 in loan reimbursement, depending on where you teach. Both literacy and ESOL have been designated as areas of critical need. See the South Carolina Student Loan website for more information.