Microsoft Office for Personal Devices FAQ
What is Microsoft Office?
Microsoft Office (currently 2016) is the latest version of the Microsoft Office suite, an integrated collection of programs and services designed to work together to enable optimized information work. Microsoft Office Professional Plus includes three applications not included with Microsoft Office Standard.
The Professional Plus suite includes the following applications:
- Microsoft Access is a relational database management system that helps information workers track and report information.
- Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet application with data analysis and visualization tools.
- Microsoft InfoPath is an information-gathering program using electronic forms deployed through web browsers, email messages, or mobile devices.
- Microsoft OneNote is a note-taking application that allows various types of content to be shared among team members.
- Microsoft Outlook is a time and information manager that integrates email, calendar, contacts, and tasks.
- Microsoft PowerPoint is a presentation graphics program with capabilities for text effects, sound, and animation.
- Microsoft Publisher is a desktop publishing program that allows people with basic layout skills to create a wide variety of publications.
- Lync Desktop is a unified communications client that works in conjunction with Skype for Business Server. Lync Desktop enables users to talk to each other using instant messaging, voice, or video and to switch back and forth between modes.
- Microsoft Word is a full-featured word-processing program.
Is It Really Free?
Absolutely! As long as you maintain an "active" status as a Citadel student, faculty, or staff member.
When Can I Start Using It?
As long as you can access your Citadel email account, you can download and use Microsoft Office for free.
What About Using Microsoft Office on my Mobile Devices (iPad, Android, or iPhone)?
All of our Office 365 accounts are now licensed to use Microsoft Office, even on mobile devices! To start using them simply download the desired app (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, or Excel) and log in with your Office 365 account (remember your username will be in this format - email@example.com).
Does my Computer Meet the Minimum Requirements?
Microsoft Office is available for computers running both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS. Most modern computers (made in the past four years) will be able to run the software, but just in case, you can review the minimum requirements - here
I'm Ready! How Do I Install It on my Computer?
We've put together a simple, step-by-step guide with screenshots. Follow this link to find out how to install it on your computer -
Microsoft Office for Personal Devices Install Guide
None of This Makes Sense to Me, But I Need Microsoft Office ... Help!
Our ITS Help Center can walk you through this process. Whether you call or visit us in person, we would be happy to help.
Bond Hall 253 | (843) 953-HELP