Graduate Certificate in Leadership
The Graduate Certificate in Leadership is offered by The Citadel to expand its educational mission concerning the study of leadership and the advanced development of principled leaders. As a rigorous concentration in the various dimensions of leadership, this certificate represents the refined qualities of leadership that businesses, institutions, and the military expect today.
The Graduate Certificate in Leadership can be completed fully online, with many of the required courses also being offered in the classroom. It is comprised of five (5) three-hour courses (15 credit hours total) at the graduate level. These courses can be completed as a stand-alone Graduate Certificate in Leadership or can be counted towards the completion of one of these three programs (students should consult their academic advisor for eligibility):
- Master of Science in Leadership (click to learn more)
- Master of Arts in Social Science (click to learn more)
- Master of Science in Project Management (click to learn more)
- Master of Business Administration (click to learn more)
*Students who enroll in and complete only the Leadership Certificate can apply those courses toward a Master of Science in Leadership at a future date.
1) Submit a graduate application, along with the non-refundable application fee.
2) An official transcript of the baccalaureate degree or master's degree (whichever is higher) delivered directly from the regionally accredited college or university attended.
3) The names and contact information for three references familiar with your work.
4) A letter of intent addressing the following:
- How has your experience/education prepared you for graduate courses in leadership?
- How will your knowledge, skills and experiences contribute to this program's learning community?
- What do you hope to gain from this graduate certificate program?
Required Courses (6 credit hours):
BADM 722 – Leadership in Organizations
PSYC 570 – Social and Cognitive Foundations of Interpersonal Behavior
Electives (6 credit hours), choose two (2) of the following:
LDRS 710 – Ethics, Values, & Principled Leadership
LDRS 711 – Leading Change: Organization Development and Transformation*
LDRS 712 – Leading Teams: Coaching, Culture, Diversity, and Globalization*
BADM 713 – Communication for Leadership
PSYC 500 – Human Growth and Development
Application of Leadership (3 credit hours), choose one (1) of the following:
BADM 740 – Global Business Strategy (if enrolled in the MBA Degree)
PMGT 672 – Applied Leadership Concepts (if enrolled in Project Management Degree)
LDRS 714 – Strategic Leadership, Vision, Mission and Contemporary Issues (if non-degree-seeking or enrolled in programs not mentioned above)
Upon completion of the certificate courses, students wishing to receive a Certificate of Completion will need to apply here.