Educational benefits are available for National Guard and Reservists of the Armed Forces.
CAP-College Assistance Program– limited to South Carolina Army and Air National Guard members
Students should visit the SCANG Education Services Office (ESO) Facebook page for up-to-date information on education benefits. ESO’s mission is “to provide resources in a fair and equitable manner guiding Service Members and building strong minds for an ‘Always Ready’ South Carolina National Guard.”
For more information about the CAP program, please visit the SC Commission on Higher Education.
Application acceptance occurs between June 1st and Aug. 1st of every year. No exceptions. CAP Application for Army and Air National Guard If you miss the Aug. 1st deadline, please apply during the spring application window, November 20th through December 15th.
Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserves (CH. 1606)
For additional information about this benefit and to apply visit www.va.gov.
Benefits are paid directly to the student. Benefit rates can be found here.
Benefits are paid at the end of each month for the preceding month of enrollment.
Students must verify their enrollment with the VA through the WAVE portal or calling 1-877-823-2378.
Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)- National Guard / Reserves/ Active-Duty
The Federal Tuition Assistance benefit is paid to eligible active duty and members of the National Guard, Reserves, or those on Active Duty. There are specific eligibility criteria for each branch of service. Service members should contact their local Education Service Officer (ESO) or representative prior to enrolling in college.
Prospective students should visit the following websites before deciding to attend The Citadel.
Tuition Assistance (TA) Decide provides a comparison tool to assist participants of DoD’s TA program in making an informed choice on schools and education programs. Although the website is designed for individuals, your ESO can also be of assistance in the process.
Steps to take:
- Contact your ESO or representative at your local military installation. Please keep in mind that the availability of TA funds varies by your branch of service or command.
- If you are eligible for TA, explore The Citadel’s degree programs and apply for admissions.
- Steps to follow once you are admitted to The Citadel:
- Contact your Citadel academic advisor for your degree program and select your classes each semester
- Complete your TA with your respective branch of service. Once approved, submit your approved TA voucher or authorization to the Office of the Treasurer by email at TRSR@citadel.edu. If you are using TA along with VA Educational Benefits, please submit a copy of your TA authorization to the Veteran Student Success Center by email at email@example.com