Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 states that, “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
- The U.S. Department of Education defines the basis of sex to include biological sex, sexual orientation and gender identity.
- The education programs or activities governed by Title IX include equitable admissions, financial aid, scholarships, academics, athletics, extracurricular activities, services, facilities, discipline, employment, etc.
- The U.S. Department of Education also includes sexual harassment and violence as violations governed by Title IX regardless of whether they occur on or off campus.
The Citadel considers acts of sexual discrimination, harassment, and violence as serious violations punishable up to employment termination or student dismissal.
Retaliation against victims, complainants, witnesses, or accused persons in sexual discrimination, harassment or violence cases, is prohibited and is a serious violation, subject to discipline.
If you have been discriminated against or experienced unequitable treatment on the basis of sex in any Citadel sanctioned program, or if you have been victimized by, witnessed, or committed sexual harassment or violence on or off campus, you are strongly encouraged to report the matter.
- The Citadel can provide medical, counseling, crisis, and other resources.
- Victims have the option to pursue either an informal resolution or a formal process which may result in formal investigation, hearings, and/or proceedings.
- Confidentiality is honored unless the situation poses a risk to public safety.
You may report any Title IX matters to or consult with the following Citadel officials:
Title IX Coordinator: Valerie Mercado, Bond Hall, Room 192, (843) 953-6881, email@example.com or contact one of the Deputy Title IX Coordinators below:
Shawn Edwards, Chief Diversity Officer, Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources Office, (843) 953-6989, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kathy Kroupa, Senior Associate Athletic Director, Senior Women’s Administrator, and Deputy Title IX Coordinator, McAllister Field House, (843) 953-6604, email@example.com.
Caroline Schlatt, Assistant Director of Enrollment Management for the School of Science and Mathematics, and Deputy Title IX Coordinator for The Citadel Graduate College (CGC), (843) 953-0523 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Janet Shealy, Director of Campus Advocacy Response and Education (CARE) (for cadets and students), Thompson Hall Rm 105, (843) 953-7277, email@example.com.
Public Safety, (843) 953-5114 or 911, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any trusted college official.
Individuals may file a complaint with The Citadel through the EthicsPoint Fraud, Waste, and Abuse and Compliance Hotline (can be anonymous), (855) 280-8357 (toll free) or http://www.citadel.ethicspoint.com
Individuals may also file a formal complaint with the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 400 Maryland Ave SW, Washington DC 20202-1100, (800) 421-3481, email@example.com, http://www.ed.gov/ocr.
The Citadel is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer actively committed to ensuring diversity in all campus employment.