Information And Actions Being Taken Related To COVID-19
The Military College of South Carolina
give online buttongive online button apply now buttonapply now button


The Center for International and Special Programs
Frequently Asked Questions

This page is frequently updated with new FAQs, so please check back often.

How do I start the study abroad process? 

Check out our "Getting Started" page on our online application portal for information on program types, eligibility for study abroad, study abroad planning, and additional information. Read more about the Citadel study abroad application process here

How do my courses transfer back after a study abroad program? 

Read about the course approval and transfer credit process here or email us at with any specific questions. 

How can I prepare to go abroad? 

Check out our study abroad pre-departure orientations and frequently asked pre-departure questions on our online application portal here

Can I use my financial aid package for study abroad?

You may use your financial aid package to cover study abroad, however check with the financial aid office to discuss payment plans and disbursement for independent programs.

What about my scholarships while I am away?

Although your grades are processed as pass/fail while you are abroad if you have a scholarship a grade/point system will be assigned to ensure you fulfill your scholarship requirements.

As an Air Force, Army, Marine-option or Navy cadet, can I participate in the Global Scholars Program?

Cadets planning to commission may participate in the Global Scholars Program, and should discuss possibility of distance enrollment in the appropriate ROTC course while abroad. 

What do students have to say about previous study abroad experiences? 

We have Citadel instructor blogs and photos from previous Citadel-led study abroad programs here as well as a few student blogs on our website here

Are the classes harder abroad?

Most students reported back that the classes were comparable to Citadel coursework, not harder or easier.

How do I apply for a passport?

Instructions & Requirements for Applying for U.S. Passport

U.S. Passport Application Form DS-11

Do I need a student visa?

Depending on what country you are traveling to and how long you will be there you may have to obtain a student visa. Your program provider will inform you whether one is required or not before your departure and how to go about getting one.

Students who intend on studying abroad for a semester in Spain, Italy, or France: Apply early for your visas as a personal appointment with the consulate is required

How much do students spend per month living abroad?

It depends on the country, on average, students who studied abroad in past semesters spent between $750-$1000 per month ( to include costs related to getting out and experiencing the culture- museums, restaurants, nightlife, etc.)

What is the most useful thing previous students suggest taking abroad?

A laptop

Will my cell phone work abroad?

Check with your current phone service provider to compare international calling plans. Some study abroad programs offer a discounted rate for international cell phones and service plans so check with them so see if a cell phone is provided. Many students choose to access applications such as GroupMe, WhatsApp, and FaceTime using only WiFi. If you bring your laptop or have computer access, remember that Skype is free and a great way to keep in contact with your friends and family at home.

Should I use a credit card or debit card?

Most countries accept Visa and MasterCard as well as debit cards. Check with your bank to find out international service fees and see if there is a partner bank in the country or city you will be in that offers low transaction fees. It is important to always have a backup plan as well in the event that your wallet/money gets lost or stolen.

Can graduate students study abroad? 

While there aren't many package programs designed for graduate students, if you want to study abroad, there are many ways to make it happen.
Most Citadel programs will allow graduate students to participate in their undergrad programs for credit with by way of an independent study/ research component. This varies by program and it is up to the progam director to determine whether or not graduate students can participate.
Students should check with their department or advisor to find out which specific opportunities exist that may offer an appropriate intercultural or international component.



Back to Top