The Citadel Department of English
Literature. Language. Learning.
Why ENGLISH? Because you want ...
- to think more clearly,
- to communicate your ideas,
- to understand our world.
Why NOW? Because you want ...
- to lead with more than your feet,
- to be ready in a changing world,
- to realize your dreams.
Congratulations to Cadet Preston Hipps who has been offered admission to the prestigious Harvard Law School.
Cadet Jane Ma (class of 2015), who double majors in English and Biology, was the lead author of the article "Continued Work: Screening School Children for Congenital Heart Disease in Developing Countries" in the Feburary 2014 Congenital Cardiology Today.
- Watch English major Sloan Lindsey talk about his experience as an English major while being interviewed on SCETV. Click here to watch. Sloan is featured at time marks 17:42 and 23:42.
- Cadet Harry Griffin, a student in Dr. Licia Hendriks' ENGL 215 class, not only was a finalist in the 2013 Norton Student Recitation Contest, he was the first Citadel winner of it. Read more here!
- Cinelle Ariola Barnes, who took the graduate-level Lowcountry Writing Project Freelance Writing class a few years ago, is a finalist for the Association of Writers & Writing Programs award in Non-Fiction for her memoir "Letter from an Illegal."
- Alumna Lisa Wu has become involved in theater productions in Virginia, where she lives, and that has led to work in commecials. Here she is in a commercial for Hills Brothers' cappuccino.
- The Charleston Post and Courier featured English major Blaise Flamio on the front page of their "Health" section.
- Thinking about applying for a position in the department? Job answers!