This program is offered in-person or online.
Elementary or Secondary School Administration and Supervision
The mission and goals of the Masters of Education in Educational Leadership, Elementary School Administration and Supervision and Secondary Administration and Supervision are to teach:
- Knowledge of human and public relations problems in education
- New curricular developments and trends
- Skills in practical applications of educational research
- Competence in applying principles of human and group behavior in problem situations.
- Knowledge and competencies in staff personnel administration
- Different leadership and management styles and a clear understanding and working knowledge of Learner-Centered Education.
Requirements for Admission
- Graduate Application and non-refundable application fee.
- Submission of official transcripts reflecting the baccalaureate degree and any graduate coursework delivered directly from the accredited college or university attended.
- Applicants are expected to have a 2.5 cumulative undergraduate grade point average or a 2.7 ratio for the last 60 credit hours of undergraduate work.
- See Academic Catalog for further requirements and details.
- Submission of a valid South Carolina elementary or secondary teaching certificate. Applicants must be in good standing with the State Board of Education at the time of admission.
- Submission of a South Carolina Professional Certificate verifying at least one year of teaching at the appropriate level for Advanced Level certification for which the candidate is applying must be validated at the time of admission.
A total of 39 semester hours must be completed for the M.Ed. in Educational Leadership. In addition to completing all courses, candidates applying for certification as an administrator must:
- Present a minimum qualifying score on the Praxis, South Carolina’s Supervision and Administration Examination, prior to enrolling in an internship.
- Present a Valid South Carolina Teaching Certificate
- Complete required courses, Darkness-2-Light training, LDRS 500, 33 hours and two internships (EDUC 661 and EDUC 662 or EDUC 663 and EDUC 664), six hours for a total of 39 credit hours. Candidates for administrative internships must:
- Complete 27 credit hours prior to submitting an internship application for faculty review.
- Earn a passing score on the Praxis, South Carolina’s Supervision and Administration Examination.
- Meet with an advisor to review request for admission to an internship and review degree audit.
Curriculum (39 hours)
Core requirements (9 hours)
All core requirements must be completed prior to or concurrently with registration for any other courses.
- EDUC 512 Data Collection and Analysis
- EDUC 514 The Exceptional Child in the School
- EDUC 522 Critical Educational Issues in a Multicultural Society
Professional Requirements (30 hours)
- EDUC 524 Techniques of School Supervision
- EDUC 527 Finance and Business Management
- EDUC 528 School Administration
- EDUC 529 Emerging Technologies for School Administration
- EDUC 531 Principles of Elementary Curriculum Development OR EDUC 532 Principles of Middle or High Curriculum Development
- EDUC 601 School Law
- EDUC 602 Staff Personnel Administration
- EDUC 616 Political Process of Public Education
- EDUC 661 Internship in Elementary Administration OR EDUC 663 Internship in Middle or High Administration
- EDUC 662 Internship in Elementary Administration OR EDUC 664 Internship in Middle or High Administration
Requirements for Certification at the Advanced Level
(A) Elementary or Secondary School Principal and Supervisor (Tier 1)
- Master’s degree
- Valid South Carolina Educator’s Professional Certificate at the elementary or secondary level
- Minimum qualifying score(s) on the area examinations required by the State Board of Education
- Verification of three years teaching experience, including at least one year of teaching in grades pre-K-8 for elementary, 7-12 for secondary
- Completion of an advanced program approved by the State Board of Education for the training of elementary or secondary principals and supervisors
- Verification of College Preparation Form
South Carolina Regulation 43.
Praxis Preparation Assistance (Free!)