- Meet with your academic advisor about your academic plan
- Be sure to keep in mind the classes you take abroad will need to fulfill course requirements for your major and for graduation
- Research scholarship opportunities and ways to finance your study abroad program
- Get your passport! Resources for passports are listed below
- If you are applying for an independent program, make sure to apply through our online application portal first, before applying to the independent program or paying any program deposits
In order to be eligible to participate in a Citadel study abroad program, students will need to meet the following criteria:
- Rising sophomore, junior, or senior at the Citadel
- In good academic standing
- 2.5 GPA or higher for independent programs and Citadel semester programs
- 2.0 GPA or higher for a Citadel spring break or summer program
- In good disciplinary standing
- Pass a conduct review (Must be conduct proficient at all stages in the study abroad application process and while participating in the program)
- Students must receive a recommendation by the Assistant Commandant for Discipline as part of their study abroad applications (see “Conduct Approval” application form). Students who have received a Class I Offense within the previous two semesters prior to study abroad term are automatically ineligible to participate in a study abroad program. Conduct will be initially reviewed at the time of application and a final conduct approval will be given prior to departure.
- In good financial standing (Does not owe for a prior or current term and/or has no holds on their account for financial reasons)
A critical part of the study abroad planning process for every student is getting a passport! To find more information on how to apply, please visit the U.S. State Department’s website.
Financing Study Abroad
Students receiving financial aid for study abroad programs will need to follow the protocol from the Citadel’s Office of Financial Aid, which can be found here. Please also reference the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship’s Study Abroad & Study Away Financial Aid Checklist.