The Modern Languages Placement Exam is expected to open on June 1, 2023.
Modern Languages Offerings and Requirements:
- The Department of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures offers four languages: French, German, Spanish, and Chinese (Asian Studies).
- Students will take two, three or four semesters in the same language. Students must consult with their department.
- If students wish to continue with the same language that they studied in high school, they must take the Citadel’s Modern Languages Placement Exam (MLPE) but no matter what their score is the lowest possible level they will be placed in is 102.
- Only students who are choosing a language not studied in High School will start at the 101 level.
- The score will determine the placement level (102, 201, 202, etc.) for a student’s modern language study at The Citadel.
- Those students who would like to begin a new language—one not previously studied—will need to request a waiver from the Placement Test by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 1st. Students who wish to study Chinese do not need to request a waiver.
- The student may not place himself/herself into a course lower than where he/she tested without permission of the Department of Modern Languages & Cultures.
- The MLNG department reserves the right to change the student’s placement in a course if it believes the student has not been placed at the appropriate level, or in the most appropriate course based on the student’s exposure to the language. If you have any other questions, please reach out to the chair of the department: Dr. Sara Fernandez email@example.com.
The Language Placement Test will be given online starting May 2nd. Complete all placement tests by August 1st.
- Tests require 30-60 minutes
- Log in to Canvas
- Select the appropriate language test
- Read instructions carefully
- Save answers
- Submit the test for grading
Students should take the Placement Exam as early as possible in order to complete registration for fall semester.
Students who require accommodations for testing must contact Services for Students with Disabilities to make the request. They can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 843-953-6877.
Remember: Enrollment in 101 courses (except for Chinese) is restricted to students that never took the language before by the language department.
- Disable all popup blockers.
- Review the Canvas Information page if technical problems occur.
- Do your very best! It is to your advantage.
Who Should Take this Test?
At The Citadel, most students want to continue to study a modern language. Therefore, the department of Modern Languages, Literatures & Cultures uses a placement exam to determine the initial language course for students. Current students, transfer students and incoming freshmen who have previously studied German, French or Spanish must take our online placement test in that language. Placement tests are mandatory for any student who intends to continue in a language previously studied. There is no need to take a placement test in a language you have not studied before or do not speak at home.
Native speakers of a language other than English are not normally allowed to earn credit for the lower-level classes in their native language. They are encouraged to earn credit at the upper-level classes and beyond; ultimately, however, the language department has the right to place the student at the appropriate level (determined by a language specialist in each section).
Understanding What a Language Placement Test Does
The purpose of The Citadel s computer adaptive language placement exam is to provide individualized testing, identifying the student’s ability level with combinations of grammar, reading, and vocabulary questions. To achieve the most appropriate placement consistent with the student’s language level, students are expected to complete the placement examination to the best of their ability, without the use of textbooks, dictionaries, or any other type of assistance.
The placement exam should only be taken once, though you may be asked to repeat the exam if the results are inconclusive.
Understanding Test Scores
Placement into foreign language classes is based upon The Citadel’s placement exam test scores, previous experience with the language and, in some cases, individual consultation with modern language faculty.
The Department of Modern Languages & Cultures will review the results of the placement examination in conjunction with other information, such as number of years that the language was studied, heritage, grades earned, etc. The department reserves the right to change the student’s placement in a course if it believes the student has not been placed at the appropriate level, or in the most appropriate course based on the student’s exposure to the language.
Students who believe they’ve been misplaced on the basis of the placement test should contact the Department Head Such a determination will be made after a more detailed evaluation of speaking, listening, reading and writing proficiency, which will be conducted by a foreign language faculty member.
Important Note: You may not place yourself into a course lower than where you tested without permission of the Department of Modern Languages & Cultures. If you do and attend the incorrect class, you may not receive credit for the course.
It can take up to 48 hours for your name to be added to Self Service at the appropriate language level, so make sure you take the test in plenty of time before you are scheduled to register. You will be notified of your placement by e-mail and Canvas notification
How do I log in to Canvas? Visit the Canvas Information page.
Contact Information for Questions about the MLPE: