Welcome to The Citadel Family Association
From Matriculation Day forward, you are automatically a member of this support network that is only a mouse click, phone call or email away. Your son or daughter journeys down the road less traveled, the CFA is here to support you through a readily available network. Representatives at each level are parents of current upper-class cadets. This site and the CFA Facebook page are kept up to date with information provided directly from the school, making them great first-hand sources of information with just a click of a mouse.
Since its inception in 1993, The Citadel Family Association (CFA) has been dedicated to three main goals:
- To provide information to, and support for, the families of current cadets
- To provide families with a forum for discussion of common interests
- To support college initiatives.
Watch this page for news and important updates. Please check the CFA's Facebook page, The Citadel’s Facebook page, Twitter page, your email and Citadel.edu often for the latest information for families.
From The Citadel's Doctor:
We always have several cases of influenza in the Corps of Cadets during the winter, peaking in January and early February each year. We admit cadets to the Infirmary to provide supportive care for them and to limit exposure of other cadets to those with the flu. Currently, we have 11 cadets admitted to the Infirmary with the flu. Our total number of beds is 36, so we have not reached capacity at this point. Also, we ask cadets with families in the area if they would like to recover at home. Many elect to do so, which helps to limit the number of Infirmary admissions. In our population, the illness is mild-to-moderate in severity and lasts 5-7 days, with cadets feeling much better after 3-4 days on medication. Most cadets can return to the barracks when they’ve had no fever for at least 24 hours and feel much better. We expect the number of cases to start falling off in the next week or two.
From The Provost's Office - Corps and Recognition Day 2017
The Citadel's Parents Page has been updated with the most recent information regarding Corps Day and Recognition Day. Whether you will be visiting the campus that weekend or just wanting to know more about the activities that are scheduled for cadets, start on this page. You will find tips on dining, lodging and how to not miss a thing.
From The Citadel Newsroom
Three major events combine for one high-impact leadership learning weekend including the Leadership Symposium, Corps Day and Recognition Day. Learn more about the full schedule of events that will take place March 16 - 19, 2017. Additional details for families visiting campus that weekend are now posted on the Provost's Office Parents Page.
Highlights of the weekend:
10th Annual Principled Leadership Symposium: Resilience in a Changing World
- Thursday, March 16 and Friday, March 17
Schedule highlights for Corps Day Weekend, the 174th birthday of the South Carolina Corps of Cadets, and Recognition Day (please refer to the Parents Page - Corps and Recognition Day 2017 and the Leadership Symposium and Corps Day Schedule of Events for official schedules):
- Thursday, March 16: Birthday Celebration
- Friday, March 17: Blue & White Bulldogs exhibition football game at 6:00 pm (free)
- Saturday, March 18:
- Open barracks from 8:00 - 9:30am
- Citadel Regimental Band and Pipes performances
- Summerall Guards' rifle exchange and awards presentations from 8:30 - 9:30am
- Dress parade and medals presentation from 10:00 - 10:45am
- Recognition Day Gauntlet from 11:30am - 1:00pm
- Freshman march to Marion Square and The Oath Renewal on the The Citadel Green ceremony (cadets prepare to depart from campus at approx. 2 - 2:30pm)
- Sunday, March 19: Worship Services
On Sunday you can pick them up early in the morning and spend the day with them until 7:50PM
Key events Spring 2017:
- 08 January – The Corps returns
- 11 January – Classes resume
- 12 and 13 January - portrait make up days
- 16 January - MLK Holiday parade, downtown Charleston
- 20 January - Inauguration Day; Parade Canceled
- 21 January – First Saturday Morning Inspection (SMI). (This is the first in a series that will culminate with the President’s Inspection on 18 February.)
- 27 January - Awards Parade
- 03 February - Parade
- 10 February - Parade
- 17 February - Awards Parade
- 24 February - Parade
- 28 February – Midterm Grading Period through 7 March
- 03 March - Parade
- 10 March - Parade
- 16-18 March - The Annual Leadership Symposium
- 16-19 March - Corps Day Weekend/Recognition Day
- 18 March - Corps Day Jeep Review and Awards Parade
- 20-24 March – Physical Fitness and Height/Weight Assessments
- 24 March to 2 April - Spring Furlough
- 10-20 April – Advising and Registration for the Fall 2017 Term
- 14-16 April – Easter Weekend
- 21 April - Awards Parade
- 26 April – Final Exams Begins
- 05 May - Long Gray Line Parade
- 06 May – GRADUATION
The Citadel has arranged a number of discounted hotel rates in the Charleston area.