Ch. 35- Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA)
You may be eligible if you are the spouse or dependent of a veteran who:
- Is totally and permanently disabled from a service-related injury.
- Died due to a service-related injury.
- *Certain children may also be eligible for the Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry
- For more information, please visit: Who is eligible?
Documentation Required for Ch. 35
Please submit completed forms or document copies to The Citadel's Veterans Services Office according to your circumstances.
If you have never applied for benefits:
- Application for VA Benefits (22-5490)
- Once you have been approved for Ch. 35 benefits, submit your Certificate of Eligibility to The Citadel's Veterans Services office.
- VA Certification Request
If you have had a one-year break in attendance at The Citadel, or if you used your benefit at another institution, submit:
If you received your benefit at The Citadel within the last year, submit:
- You will receive a stipend for personal use each month for 45 months as long as you are a full-time student. Benefit rates for part-time enrollment are reduced proportionately. Visit the GI Bill® Rate Table for complete information on current rates.
- Generally, spouses must use this benefit within 10 years from the date their eligibility was determined by Dept. of Veterans Affairs. In most cases, children must use the benefit between ages of 18-26.
South Carolina Free Tuition
Provides for free tuition to the children of certain war veterans attending South Carolina state supported colleges and universities, as well as state supported post high school technical education institutions. Certain residency requirements apply. For questions or to apply contact 803.647.2434.