The Citadel earns three #1 rankings from U.S. News and World Report
2017 rankings include Citadel as #1 Public College in South for sixth year in a row
The Citadel has earned three #1 rankings from U.S. News and World Report; one of them for the sixth consecutive year. The news and information publisher’s 2017 rankings were released Sept. 13 and The Citadel is #1 Public College in the South for the sixth time, as well as #1 Best Value in the South (public colleges) and #1 for Veterans in the South (public colleges.)
The college’s overall rankings on the 2017 list are as follows:
- #1 Public College in the South
- #1 Best Value in the South
- #1 Best Public College for Veterans in the South
- #3 College in the South - public and private
- #3 Best College for Veterans in the South - public and private
- #13 for Undergraduate Engineering Programs in the nation at schools offering up to a Master’s
“This recognition affirms the commitment made by our dedicated faculty, staff, alumni, and donors who believe in our mission to educate and develop principled leaders for all walks of life," said Lt. Gen. John W. Rosa, USAF (Ret.), president of The Citadel. "I am pleased that our values-based education is resonating with so many families across the nation.”
U.S. News & World Report, one of the world’s leading providers of news and information, has provided college rankings since the late 1980s and is a resource for students and their families when considering colleges. Year after year the rankings reflect the value of a Citadel education.
"We do it to help you make one of the most important decisions of your life," a statement on the service's website reads.
Schools are compared on a set of 16 indicators of excellence and quality. Among the quality factors measured in the rankings are:
- Peer assessment
- Retention and graduation of students
- Student to faculty ratio
- Student selectivity
- Faculty resources
- Alumni giving
The methodology includes data related to those areas reported to the federal government by more than 600 colleges and universities that the institutions must submit to maintain accreditations and funding. Additionally, U.S. News and World Report uses the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education to produce categories of rankings for colleges and universities.
“We believe The Citadel is the best when it comes to leadership development and academic excellence, but it is exciting to once again have this recognized by a global news agency on such a prestigious list of rankings” said Alexandria Guild, regimental public affairs officer for The South Carolina Corps of Cadets.
Some of the past U.S. News and World Report rankings for The Citadel included:
- #1 Public College in the South (offering up to a master’s degree) 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012
- Top 5 ranking as Best Value Among Public Colleges in the South (in The Citadel’s category) 2017, 2015, 2014, 2013
- Top 25 position for Undergraduate Engineering Program at schools without a doctoral program in The Citadel’s category 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012