Major James B. White, SCM (1861-1865)
James White was born on a plantation in Georgetown County, South Carolina in 1828. He was prepared for college by his father and graduated from The Citadel in 1849.
After teaching school for three years in Orangeburg County, Major White accepted the position of Professor of Mathematics at The Arsenal in 1853. In 1856, he transferred to The Citadel and in 1858 returned to The Arsenal as Superintendent.
In 1861, Major White became Superintendent of The Citadel. During the Civil War, the cadets at The Arsenal and The Citadel were organized as the Battalion of State Cadets. Major White was in charge of The Citadel cadets, who were known as "Company A". On several occasions, he was ordered to deploy the cadets to defend against Federal Forces. In 1865, the cadets were not recalled to college because The Citadel was occupied by Federal Forces.
After the war, Major White returned to Marion, SC, where he engaged in farming, surveying, and teaching. He also established a private academy which was the only school in Marion, SC.
In 1877, Major White was actively connected with the Association of Graduates in promoting the reopening of The Citadel. He died in 1906.