Minor in African American Studies
Statement of Purpose
The minor in African American Studies is a multidisciplinary concentration of courses and academic experiences that seeks to promote a better understanding of African American culture and history, to thereby help students better understand their nation and become more responsible citizens and leaders in the United States.
1. Required Course: All minors must satisfactorily complete
AFAM 205 Introduction to African American Studies
2. Elective Group A: All minors must also satisfactorily complete at least two of the following Group A courses (a minimum total of six credit hours).
- ENGL 349 African American Literature
- HIST 310 African American History to 1865
- HIST 311 African American History since 1865
- HIST 312 (409) The Modern Civil Rights Movement OTHER: Any Independent Study, Senior Research Project, Internship, or special topics course whose primary focus is the African-American experience and which is approved by the Director of the Program.
3. Elective Group B: All minors may take, and count toward the minor, up to two (a maximum total of six credit hours) of the following Group B courses.
- ANTH 202 Cultural Anthropology
- ENGL 340 Southern Literature to 1900
- ENGL 348 Twentieth Century Southern Literature
- HIST 316 Old South
- HIST 317 New South
- PSCI 307 Southern Politics
- PSCI 341 African Affairs
- PSCI 462 Constitutional Law: Civil Rights and Liberties
- PSYC 305 Social Psychology
- SOCI 304 Minority Group Relations
Declaration of Minor
Students who wish to earn the minor in African American Studies, must file a declaration of intent with the Director of the program by the beginning of their junior year. This declaration must outline the projected course of study and be approved by the Director
Projected Course of Study
Each student's declaration of minor must outline their projected course of study and be approved by the Director who assumes responsibility for publicizing the program and for monitoring progress toward fulfilling the requirements of the minor. As advisor for the student's minor program, the director will be responsible for verifying that the student has met the requirements of the minor and for notifying the Records Office to that effect.
Total Credit Hours Required
Total Credit Hours Required—15, at least 9 of which must be completed at The Citadel.
For further information, please contact Dr. Knight in the Department of History.