Citadel Commencement Frequently Asked Questions
SCCC = South Carolina Corps of Cadets CGC = Citadel Graduate College
Where can I find a map of The Citadel?
- Through the college's online map and virtual tour. Buildings, handicapped accessible parking and other details are noted on the map.
Where can I find a list of hotels and restaurants in the area?
- You may access a list of hotels and restaurants in the Charleston area.
What time do graduates need to be at McAlister Field House for their ceremony?
- SCCC - Graduating cadets will gather in Deas Hall no later than 7 a.m. Saturday, May 9 for lineup. Alumni parents and grandparents presenting diplomas to their sons or daughters will be lined up in the rear hallway of McAlister Field House. Families and other guests must arrive and be seated PRIOR TO THE PROCESSIONAL. Those not seated by 8:50 a.m. must wait until the conclusion of the processional before being seated.
- CGC - CGC students will gather in Deas Hall no later than 2:30 p.m. Saturday, May 9 for robing and lineup.
What time should guests arrive at the ceremony?
- SCCC - Doors open at 7:30. All guests are asked to be seated by 8:30 a.m. Doors will close at 8:50 a.m. for the processional. Doors will not reopen until after the national anthem and invocation.
- CGC - Doors open at 2:30. All guests are asked to be seated by 3:20 p.m.
Do guests need tickets?
- SCCC - Yes, all guests are required to have a ticket including infants and toddlers. General admission tickets are required for the Corps of Cadets commencement on Saturday morning. Each graduating cadet will receive a limited number of tickets.
- CGC - Yes, all guests are required to have a ticket including infants and toddlers. General admission tickets are required for the CGC commencement on Saturday. Each graduating student will receive a limited number of tickets
- In both cases, tickets will be scanned at the door.
What can we bring into McAlister Field House during the ceremonies?
- The College’s Clear Bag Policy is in effect for all attendees. Please see the Campus Event Security Screening Policy for more information.
Are strollers allowed in McAlister Field House for Commencement?
- Strollers or infant carriers are not allowed in McAlister Field House. Strollers/carriers brought to the ceremony building will need to be left, at your own risk, in the stroller parking area between McAlister Field House and Deas Hall. Please remember that infants/toddlers must have a ticket to attend the ceremony, even if they are sitting on a lap.
Is there designated seating and parking for visitors with disabilities?
- On-campus handicapped parking will be available for all events but early arrival is highly recommended.
- Please visit the Accessibility Options page for more information.
- For SCCC and CGC questions, please contact The Citadel’s Office of Services for Students with Disabilities at 843-953-6877 or email email@example.com.
How long does the ceremony usually last?
- SCCC - Approximately three hours.
- CGC - Approximately ninety minutes.
Who is speaking at the graduation ceremony?
- SCCC - General Joseph F. Dunford, Jr., USMC, Retired; former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- CGC - Mr. Anderson Davis Warlick, Chairman & CEO, Parkdale Mills
Is there a live steam location to view the ceremony?
- SCCC - Guest overflow live-stream broadcast location on campus: For family members and friends who do not have a ticket to attend the ceremony inside McAlister, The Citadel will be broadcasting a live stream of the entire commencement event in Grimsley Hall Auditorium and Grimsley Hall, Rm 112. Grimsley Hall can be located on the college's virtual map, at position number 15. Tickets are not required to watch the ceremony in the Grimsley Hall locations, which are located on the first floor of that building. Please note that space availability is limited.
- CGC - The Citadel will be broadcasting a live stream of the entire commencement event. A link to the ceremony will be posted on The Citadel website.