Citadel School of Engineering to announce expansion
America’s fifth oldest engineering school is expanding. On Saturday, Nov. 7, during the college’s homecoming weekend, The Citadel School of Engineering will hold a brief, special event to announce the components of substantial growth.
The event will take place at the college’s new engineering fabrication facility at noon. It will include a ribbon-cutting and an announcement about expanded offerings, as well as equipment demonstrations by cadets. A virtual tour and map of The Citadel campus with numbered buildings can be found here. The new engineering lab building is located behind Grimsley Hall, number 15 on the map, located on Grier Avenue.
Citadel engineering graduates are leaders in their field across the Lowcountry and across the nation. The school offers undergraduate, evening-undergraduate, and graduate degrees as well as a range of certificates. It is composed of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and the Department of Leadership and Project Management which currently includes the Mechanical Engineering Program. The Citadel School of Engineering is ranked among the top 25 undergraduate engineering programs in the nation. The military college was the forerunner in engineering education in the state of South Carolina, with engineering as a foundational part of the college’s curriculum since its inception in 1842.
The School of Engineering is led by Dean Ronald W. Welch, Ph.D., PE, ASEE Fellow, ASCE Fellow, SAME Fellow, U.S. Army Col. (retired). The school proudly contributes to the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) development of hundreds of South Carolina K – 12 students each year through numerous events including Engineering Week and the Storm The Citadel Trebuchet competitions.