A workshop series and three-day wilderness experience for women cadets of any class. Those cadets who complete the workshop series qualify to attend a backpacking trip on the weekend of March 3 - 5, 2017.
Previous backpacking experience is not necessary.
- Declare your interest in participating. Email Mr. Henry Bouton at Henry.Bouton@citadel.edu by the end of the day on January 25, 2017.
- Complete and turn in a Player Packet to Deas Hall 202 by the end of the day on February 7, 2017.
- You must be academically and conduct proficient, and medically eligible to join the backpacking trip.
To qualify for the backpacking trip, participants must:
- Attend each of the five (5) weekly Wilderness Skills Workshops.
- Review frequently web-based resources.
- Reply promptly to all workshop and trip emails.
Wilderness Skills Workshop Series
Where: Deas Hall 218
When: Tuesdays, 1830 - 2000
How We Help: We will request Special Orders for these weekly workshops. Therefore, it is important to declare your interest in participating by emailing Mr. Henry Bouton at Henry.Bouton@citadel.edu by the end of the day on January 25, 2017.
TUESDAY, JANUARY 31: INTRODUCING TEAM LEADERSHIP, TRIP GUIDES, PARTICIPANTS AND THE TRIP.
- Where will we be backpacking and camping?
- Cook food!
- Introduce gear list and requirements.
- What are some issues women might have in the outdoors?
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 7: MORE ABOUT FOOD AND COOKING IN THE OUTDOORS.
- How to make camp. What are the logistics of sleeping?
- How to build and maintain a fire.
- How to keep food safe from animals.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 14: HOW DO WE CARE FOR OURSELVES AND OTHERS?
- Bring the footwear you will wear on the backpacking trip!
- How to prevent and care for blisters.
- How to treat water for drinking. How to hydrate in the outdoors.
- How to dress to stay warm or to stay cool.
- How to maintain energy stores.
- Notice if someone is struggling.
- How to rotate trip leaders.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21: GEAR, MIND AND SPIRIT CHECK.
- Bring your backpack and all gear!
- What is out there to be concerned and excited about?
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 28: FINAL PREPARATION.
Grocery shopping with trip guides.
2017 Trip Itinerary
Friday (4-5 miles)
- From Deas Hall, load vans and depart by 0600.
- Park vans at East Entrance (Cold Mountain Gap) to Panthertown Valley. Arrive by 1200.
- Hike on Devil’s Elbow Trail for 40 minutes and turn west (right) on Little Green Creek Trail.
- Hike 1-1/2 hours to intersection with Shelton Pisgah Trail at base of Cold Mountain. Arrive ~1430.
- Set-up camp.
- Hike (south) up to High Bethel Altar.
- Return to camp. Arrive ~1630.
Saturday (5-6 miles)
- Hike north on Shelton Pisgah Trail.
- Lunch at overlook on Shelton Pisgah Mountain.
- Steep downhill (at times), turn east (right) on West Fork Way
- Turn south (right) at trails going to Dismal Falls and stop.
- Set-up camp in large clearing near streams.
Sunday (2 miles)
- Return to the East Entrance (Cold Mountain Gap) to Panthertown Valley by following the West Fork Way.