The Military College of South Carolina
give online buttongive online button apply now buttonapply now button

Adding/Withdrawing from Classes; Changing Majors

While the information is as accurate as possible, in the case of any discrepancies between this webpage and the student's catalog of record, the catalog will be the final authority. Online catalogs can be found here.

Adding/Dropping a Class

  • Students must Add or Drop a class during the Drop/Add period, which ends the first Tuesday after classes begin on Wednesday. In other words, students only have a few days to make this decision.
  • Once a student has decided to Add or Drop a class, he/she must follow the process as outlined in Lesesne Gateway under "Registration Tools."
  • Remember, students only have a few days to complete this process. Please see the Academic Calendar for the exact dates.

Course Withdrawal

  • A cadet will receive a W for withdrawal from a course prior to the official deadline. See the Academic Calendar for the Withdrawal dates.
  • A Withdrawal Form must be completed and submitted to the Registrar.  Click here for an Undergraduate/Day Student Withdrawal Form and here for a Graduate Student Withdrawal Form.
  • After the withdrawal deadline, students will receive the grade of F should they fail to complete the course or complete it unsuccessfully.

If a student withdraws or drops a class, he/she must attend all class meetings of the withdrawn or dropped class until all signatures have been submitted to the Registrar, and the class schedule has been corrected.

Change of Academic Major

  • Students who wish to change their major should consult with their Academic Advisors in their current major course of study as well as with the Associate Dean or Department Head offering the new major. Change of Major Forms for requesting a change of academic major are available at this link and must be submitted to the Registrar.
  • Students who have changed majors and earn more than the maximum allowable number of credit hours toward graduation will be required to submit a SAP Appeal.

Taking or Repeating Courses to Improve the GPA/Grade Replacement

A student may not take or repeat a course which is taught at a lower level than or serves as a prerequisite for a course which the student has already completed.

Courses may be repeated under the following conditions:

  1. No course may be repeated once a grade of “B” or higher has been earned.
  2. If a course is repeated, the last grade of record is used to determine whether course requirements for graduation have been met.
  3. If a previously passed course is repeated, the hours may be used only once toward meeting requirements for total hours passed.
  4. When courses are repeated under the conditions described above, the original course grade may be replaced by the newer grade when calculat- ing students’ grade-point averages (GPAs), quality hours, and earned credit hours. Both the old and new grades will appear on students’ transcripts, but only the newer grade will be used in calculating GPAs. It is the student’s responsibility to complete Grade Replacement Request forms in the Office of the Registrar in order to have the new grade replace the older grade(s).
  5. The maximum number of hours for which Grade Replacement will be allowed over the course of a student’s undergraduate career is 16. If a student repeats more than 16 hours of credit, both the old and the new grade will be used to calculate the student’s grade-point average (GPA), quality hours, and earned credit hours. Grades of “S” earned when a student elects to take a course on a Pass-Fail basis may not be used to replace older grades(s).
  6. For the purpose of determining graduation honors (e.g., cum laude, etc.), both the old grade and the new grade will be used in making the GPA calculation to determine honors eligibility.
  7. A student is not eligible for grade replacement after he/she has completed their degree program.
  8. Once grade replacement has been requested and applied, it cannot be reversed.

Course Load Requirements

  • A full-time student must be enrolled throughout each semester in course work totaling at least 12 credit hours.
  • A cadet must be a full-time student.
  • Any cadet who drops below the 12-credit-hour minimum at any time during a semester is subject to discharge, unless there are extremely extenuating circumstances.
  • Such circumstances must be presented in writing to the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs
  • Students and their parents should be aware that carrying fewer than 12 credit hours may affect insurance coverage with some insurance companies and may also affect eligibility for financial aid.

Course Overload

The maximum course load (credit hours) which will be approved for either fall or spring semester is normally 22. Overloads may be requested in writing to the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs. Course loads of up to 24 hours may be allowed in certain circumstances. But in no case will an overload of more than 24 hours be allowed.

Course Substitutions

Course substitutions are made only when justified by extenuating circumstances. Such circumstances must be presented in writing by the student, and the requested substitution must have the support of the faculty advisor, the associate dean or department head, and the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs. Forms for requesting course substitutions are available in the Registrar’s Office. Click the following link for more information about the Registrar's Office.

Combining Courses

Courses may be combined to meet a maximum of one general elective requirement under the following circumstances:

  1. The courses to be combined must be offered by the same department and must be related in some way.
  2. The associate dean or department head of the student’s major school or department must provide a recommendation and rationale for combining the courses.
  3. The Associate Provost for Academic Affairs must grant final approval for the combining of courses.

For more academic information, please see the Course Catalog

Graduate Courses

Academic seniors with a cumulative Grade Point Average of at least a 3.20 may take up to six hours of CGC graduate courses in each semester of their senior year when space is available. These courses may provide students a head start on earning a graduate certificate or a graduate degree, but graduate courses may NOT be used to meet undergraduate degree requirements and will NOT be used to compute undergraduate GPA. Students must have the permission of the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs.

Back to Top