The following is our hurricane Irma morning update for September 7:
The safety of our campus community is our primary concern, and the administration continues monitoring Hurricane Irma, in concert with state and coastal county emergency response officials.
Corps of Cadets
The Citadel Corps of Cadets will be released by noon Friday, or their last official duty Friday, September 8, whichever is earlier. Every member of the Corps of Cadets will depart the campus, in accordance with the Citadel’s hurricane evacuation plans. The Commandant’s office accounts for and monitors the transportation and relocation of all cadets. Under this process, TAC Officers insure all cadets are included and have a form of transportation out of the evacuation area. Cadets have been instructed to keep their families informed of their departure arrangements and their location.
This release time is subject to change if state and coastal county emergency officials change their response timelines. Please continue to monitor the news and our website for updates.
Citadel Faculty and Staff
Employees who are deemed essential for preparation, operation, and recovery efforts will be notified by their supervisors today. Updated information will be provided for faculty and staff members in accordance with guidance from the state of South Carolina.
Once evacuation actions are complete, please continue to monitor The Citadel website for additional updates, including resumption of classes and the reopening of the college when recovery actions allow. Our top priority at present is the safe evacuation of all members of our community. Cadets, students, faculty and staff should regularly check email, cell phones for updates.
The following Citadel activities have been canceled:
- All classes, including Citadel Graduate College and Evening Undergraduate classes after 12 p.m. Friday September 8, are cancelled until further notice.
- Parade Friday September 8.
Citadel Football Game Venue is Moving
The Citadel’s football game against Presbyterian College has been moved to Clinton, S.C. and Bailey Memorial Stadium. Kickoff will be on Saturday (Sept. 9) at noon. Tickets purchased for the game will be honored on Saturday at Presbyterian. Tickets can also be purchased at Bailey Memorial Stadium on the day of the game.
Ticket holders unable to attend Saturday’s game at Presbyterian can have their ticket redeemed for a ticket of equal or lesser value to the Wofford game (Oct. 14) or the Western Carolina game (Nov. 4). Tickets will be redeemed on a “best available & while supplies last” basis. Ticket holders can also donate their tickets to the Junior Bulldog program, which benefits orphanages and foster families in the Lowcountry.
Bailey Memorial Stadium is located in Clinton, SC on the campus of Presbyterian College. For more information on The Citadel football, follow @CitadelFootball or visit CitadelSports.com.
The following campus activities have been postponed:
- The Citadel Memorial Fund Banquet
- The Citadel Athletic Hall of Fame Banquet
Our next scheduled Hurricane Irma update will be at 7 p.m. today. If necessary, we may provide updated information sooner.
- The Citadel will announce any further cancellations, closures and cadet actions, including potential evacuation, if those actions are necessary.
- General updates will be provided via email and on the college’s Facebook and Twitter pages, and on the college’s Bulldog Alert homepage.
- Any urgent updates will be delivered via the college’s Bulldog Alert system, as well as through the channels listed above.
- A recorded message will be updated regularly on the DAWG line at (843) 953-3294.