The Military College of South Carolina Dare to Lead

Info Academics Admissions Alumni Cadet Life Graduate College Evening Undergrad Athletics Connect Giving
Close this window

Giving to The Citadel

  • The Citadel Foundation
  • Blueprint
  • The Citadel Brigadier Foundation

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I am a Veteran and would like to take classes during the day.  Is this possible? 

A. Yes.  Veteran students will be allowed to attend day classes if eligible. Admissions requirements for the Non-Cadet Day Veterans program include but not limited to at least 90 days of active duty (other than training), DD-214 with an honorable discharge. For more information on admissions requirements, please contact The Citadel's Office of Admissions.

Q. How long does it take to receive GI Bill payments if I'm a new student?

A. The VA needs a minimum of 12 weeks to process a new request for pay. To speed up the process, new students should apply for their VA Educational Benefit approval as early as possible. Once they receive the approval, Certificate of Eligibility (COE), and they have registered, processing time is the same as a returning student.

Q. Does The Citadel defer tuition for veteran students until they receive their benefits?

A. Yes, only for students receiving Post 9/11 Benefits.  Our policy is to report tuition and fees after drop/add.  Only the tuition portion of the Post 9/11 GI Bill will be deferred.  Students are still responsible to pay by bill due date the portion of their bill that is NOT covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Financial Aid and payment plans are available.  For more information, visit the Financial Aid Website or the Treasurer's Office website.

Q. Why did I receive a letter from the VA stating that The Citadel reported $0 for tuition and fees.

A.  The Citadel will report your hours of enrollment as soon as possible with $0.00 reported for your tuition and fees.  We will report tuition and fees after the drop/add date.  This is done to ensure that your recieve your BAH and book allowance on time.  Once drop/add has passed, we will then report tuition and fees to the VA.  This process prevents overawards to the student.  

Q. What do I need to do to take classes at another school to receive benefits?

A. In order to take classes at another school, the classes taken must be transferred back to The Citadel as credit toward your degree program. You must fill out the "Permission to take classes at another school" form as soon as possible and return it to The Citadel Veterans Services Office. You will also need to contact the Certifying Official at the school where you are taking your transient classes in order for them to submit that enrollment to the VA. 

Q. Is there a website where I can ask questions directly of the VA?

A. Yes. The VA has two online question/answer options. The first is a searchable database, and the second is an email address. They can be found at "Questions & Answers."

Q. How do I contact the Department of Veterans Affairs?

A. Students may inquire about the status of pending claims through the Atlanta Regional Office. DVA's contact phone number is 1-888-442-4551.