Overall Strategic End-State
Strengthen The Citadel into a nationally
recognized college for the education and
development of principled leaders.
Strategic initiative supporting outcomes:
#1 Develop Principled Leaders in a Globalized Environment
- The Citadel’s four-year leadership development model will be nationally recognized as an exemplar among university leadership programs.
- The Citadel will place 75% of each graduating class in military service, graduate or professional schools, or meaningful career paths within six months of graduation.
#2 Enhance the Learning Environment
- The Citadel will achieve a 75% four-year graduation rate.
- The Citadel will sustain its position among the top three in the Southern region category of the U.S. News & World Report college rankings, and maintain metrics that are among the best nationally.
#3 Strengthen the College through Institutional Advancement
- The Citadel’s athletics program will increase its financial independence and generate 100% of the revenues needed to eliminate the need for campus support from unrestricted gift funds.
#4 Develop the Student Population
- The Citadel will become the national institution of choice after the federal service academies for academic and military preparation for careers in the armed services.
- The Citadel will develop the mix of its student populations to reflect diversity goals.
- The Citadel will develop and refine its scholarship and financial assistance programs to support its recruitment goals.
#5 Enhance the Facilities and Technological Support for the Campus
- The Citadel will invest in its facilities and technological infrastructure to enhance student learning, expand online educational opportunities, and attract online learners.
- The Citadel will upgrade and maintain its laboratories and equipment consistent with best practices.
#6 Improve Institutional Effectiveness
- The Citadel will establish a secure strategic financial plan.
- The Citadel will define desired end-states for each school based on priorities, identified in each school’s strategic plan for the future, that will generate the resources needed to achieve those end-states.
- The Citadel will enhance its advancement and development capacity to generate external funds.
#7 Ensure the College has the Leadership and Talent to Accomplish these Strategic Initiatives
- The Citadel’s academic schools will establish programs of distinction with outstanding faculty and will establish named chairs and professorships to attract top talent.
- The Citadel will recruit and retain an outstanding staff to ensure effectiveness and provide support for leadership development and academic distinction.
#8 Provide Outreach to the Region and Serve as a Resource in its Economic Development
- The Citadel Graduate College will become the college of choice for graduate education in the Charleston area and will meet many of the post-graduate educational needs of our community.
- The Citadel will provide opportunities for South Carolina workforce development through continuing professional education.