Cadets pursuing international studies this summer
Twenty-four cadets will be studying and interning abroad this summer thanks to a $145,000 grant from the Star of the West Foundation.
The Star of the West International Summer Scholars is a one-time grant to support the academic enrichment of cadets whose project proposals presented a clear connection between the summer experience and their goals after graduation. These international summer scholars range from working with HIV health care professionals in Vietnam to language training in Spain, Costa Rica, Germany, France, Argentina, Kenya and Peru.
The Star of the West Foundation is a trust that was established in 1945 through the tremendous vision and compassion of the late Col. William W. Wannamaker, Citadel class of 1919. The foundation makes this annual grant in an effort to strengthen The Citadel’s global initiatives. Students submit proposals based on specific academic studies and awards are based on academic class standing, the quality of their proposals and letters of reference. This year’s competition was competitive and demonstrates the strong academic caliber of Citadel cadets.
"The Star of the West International Summer Scholars represent the very best of the Corps of Cadets," said Brig. Gen. Sam Hines, provost and dean of the college. "Their summer abroad experiences will be transforming, build on the character already instilled in them at The Citadel and make them even more competitive as they go out into the world to practice principled leadership."
Following is a list of cadets who have been awarded the 2011 Star of the West International Summer grants:
• Braye, Lance Christopher, Walterboro, SC: Veritas University, Costa Rica
• Brown, Krystal Alexis, Hardeeville SC: Alacala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
• Canipe, Benjamin Thomas, Hickory, NC: La Universidad de las Americas, Puebla, Mexico
• Carter, Erinn Simone, Wilmington, DE: Tours, France
• Cokeley, George Hampton, Charleston, WV: Alacala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
• Corbett, David Kavanaugh, Newnan GA: University of Granada, Spain
• Couch, Shanna Marie, Edwardsville, KS: Alacala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
• Czugh, Arthur John, Port Monmouth, New Jersey: Goethe Institute, Berlin, Germany
• Dragnett, Joshua Turner, Charleston, SC: Universidad Adiolfo Ibanez, Valparaiso, Chile
• Dunn, John, Bedford, NY: Autonomous University, Madrid, Spain
• Duplantier, Martin Joseph, Atlanta, Ga: Humanitarian health program, Panama
• Gress, Stewart T, Mount Pleasant, SC: Tours, France
• Griffin, William Perrin, Columbia, SC: Tours, France
• Grooms, Richard Walter, Columbia, SC: Alacala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
• Hackett, John Paul, Edwardsville Illinois: Alacala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
• Hipps Jr., Donald Preston, Pelion, SC: Citadel Summer Program, London, England
• Jordan Jr., Thomas Myers, Dillon, SC: Multi-country study, South America
• McDermott, James Alexander, Lexington, SC: Barcelona International College, Barcelona, Spain
• McGuire Jr., Franklin Scott, Lexington, SC: Multi city study, France
• Payne Jr., Charles Preston, Greenwood, SC: International service project, Panama
• Perez, Samuel Nelson, Mount Pleasant, SC: Alacala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
• Scurry, William Monroem , Lexington, SC: Tours, France
• Slater, Nicholas Christain, Lawrenceville, GA: Oxford University, England
• Steele, Raymond Lachlan, Ormond Beach, FL: Alacala de Henares, Madrid, Spain