The Citadel Science and Mathematics Council
2013-14 Council Members
• Ms. Catherine (Cathy) DeMers Citadel Graduate College '04, MAE- Mathematics. Ms. Brewer is the Mathematics Coordinator for Berkeley County Schools.
• Dr. Henry Cross Ph.D. California Western University. Dr. Cross spent the majority of his career with Colgate-Palmolive where he was the Technical Director for worldwide technology transfer. Currently, he is the Chairman of the Bite Tech Research Institute.
• Dr. Lee S. Dewald Citadel '69, Mathematics, Ph.D. Naval Postgraduate School. Dr. Dewald is the former head of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at VMI.
• Dr. Kevin Harbol Citadel '81, Chemistry; Ph.D. University of Kentucky. Dr. Harbol has had a distinguished career in pharmaceutical/biotechnology. Currently he is the Senior Group Leader of Mass Spectrometry at Omeros Corporation in Seattle, WA.
• Dr. Fred Holland Citadel '64, Biology; Ph.D. in Marine Science, University of South Carolina. He is a former Director of the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources' Marine Resources Research Institute; and former director of NOAA Hollings Marine Laboratory.
• Dr. Timothy R. Liptak Citadel '90, Biology; DMD University of Connecticut School of Medicine. Dr. Liptak has a dental practice in Charleston, Timothy R Liptak, DMD Associates LLC.
• Dr. Samuel (Sam) McManus Citadel '60, Chemistry, Ph.D. Clemson. Dr. McManus is an eminent research chemist and consultant to the chemical industry. He is a retired Provost of the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
• Dr. Mir "Jim" J. Nasim DMD Citadel '82, Biology. Dr. Nasim is an ADA member and Spartanburg Dental Society. He has practiced in his two Spartanburg locations for twenty-four years.
• Mr. Richard Nelson Citadel CGC '06, MS Computer Science. Programs Director, Life Cycle Engineering, N. Charleston
• Dr. John Palms Citadel '58, Physics; Ph.D., University of New Mexico. John Palms is a distinguished physicist, president emeritus of the University of South Carolina, and of Georgia State University, and member of many corporate boards and government committees.
• Dr. Jim Pugh Citadel '85, UNC Chapel Hill '90. He is currently President of Harrell Industries
• Dr. Joe M. Sanders Citadel '62, MUSC '67
• Dr. Mark Settin Citadel '80, Chemistry, Ph.D. ClemsonCEO of Barker Industries, a chemical company in Charlotte, NC.
• Dr. Chris Shaffrey Citadel '82, Biology. He is a Professor of Neurological Surgery and Director of the Neurosurgery Spine Division, University of Virginia College of Medicine.
• Dr. John Smyth Ph.D., Indiana University. Dr. Smyth is the retired Director of Training for the U.S. Olympic Committee. He is an internationally recognized expert on exercise and sport science.
• Mr. Jeff Stevenson Citadel '91, Mathematics. Mr. Stevenson is currently Deployments Project manager for Google in Moncks Corner. He also represents Google on the Lowcountry STEM Collaborative.
• Mr. Jim Wigwall Citadel '82, Mathematics. Mr. Wigfall is currently vice president of Shared Services Group, business support to Boeing.
• Ms. Krystal Oliveira (ex-officio) The Citadel Foundation
Dr. Virgil (Dan) Alfaro, M.D.,
Citadel '84, Biology. Dr. Alfaro is a prominent Charleston area physician.
Mr. Allen Wutzdorff Executive Director, The Education Foundation, a unit of the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce.