The Citadel Science and Mathematics Council
The Citadel Science and Mathematics Council was first convened in 2008 by the founding Dean of the School of Science and Mathematics, Dr. Chuck Groetsch. It is an advisory board to the Dean.
The Citadel Science and Mathematics Council (CSMC) is charged with taking an active responsibility for the advancement of The Citadel’s School of Science and Mathematics. The Council will help build the School for the future through personal commitments of time, energy, and community connections. The success of the Council requires the members to be actively committed to its work, and willing to encourage other community leaders to support the School.
2013-14 Council Members
• Ms. Catherine (Cathy) DeMers Citadel Graduate College '04, MAE- Mathematics. Ms. Brewer is the Mathematics Coordinator for Berkeley County Schools.
• Dr. Henry Cross Ph.D. California Western UniversityDr. Cross spent the majority of his career with Colgate-Palmolive where he was the Technical Director for worldwide technology transfer. Currently, he is the Chairman of the Bite Tech Research Institute.
• Dr. Lee S. Dewald Citadel '69, Mathematics, Ph.D. Naval Postgraduate School. Dr. Dewald is the former head of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at VMI.
• Dr. Kevin Harbol Citadel '81, Chemistry; Ph.D. University of Kentucky. Dr. Harbol has had a distinguished career in pharmaceutical/biotechnology. Currently he is the Senior Group Leader of Mass Spectrometry at Omeros Corporation in Seattle, WA.
• Dr. Fred Holland Citadel '64, Biology; Ph.D. in Marine Science, University of South Carolina. He is a former Director of the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources' Marine Resources Research Institute; and former director of NOAA Hollings Marine Laboratory.
• Dr. Timothy R. Liptak Citadel '90, Biology; DMD University of Connecticut School of Medicine. Dr. Liptak has a dental practice in Charleston, Timothy R Liptak, DMD Associates LLC.
• Dr. Samuel (Sam) McManus Citadel '60, Chemistry, Ph.D. Clemson. Dr. McManus is an eminent research chemist and consultant to the chemical industry. He is a retired Provost of the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
• Dr. Mir "Jim" J. Nasim DMD Citadel '82, Biology. Dr. Nasim is an ADA member and Spartanburg Dental Society. He has practiced in his two Spartanburg locations for twenty-four years.
• Mr. Richard Nelson Citadel CGC '06, MS Computer Science. Programs Director, Life Cycle Engineering, N. Charleston
• Dr. John Palms Citadel '58, Physics; Ph.D., University of New Mexico. John Palms is a distinguished physicist, president emeritus of the University of South Carolina, and of Georgia State University, and member of many corporate boards and government committees.
• Dr. Jim Pugh Citadel '85, UNC Chapel Hill '90He is currently President of Harrell Industries
• Dr. Joe M. Sanders Citadel '62, MUSC '67
• Dr. Mark Settin Citadel '80, Chemistry, Ph.D. ClemsonCEO of Barker Industries, a chemical company in Charlotte, NC.
• Dr. Chris Shaffrey Citadel '82, Biology. He is a Professor of Neurological Surgery and Director of the Neurosurgery Spine Division, University of Virginia College of Medicine.
• Dr. John Smyth Ph.D., Indiana University. Dr. Smyth is the retired Director of Training for the U.S. Olympic Committee. He is an internationally recognized expert on exercise and sport science.
• Mr. Jeff Stevenson Citadel '91, Mathematics. Mr. Stevenson is currently Deployments Project manager for Google in Moncks Corner. He also represents Google on the Lowcountry STEM Collaborative.
• Mr. Jim Wigwall Citadel '82, Mathematics. Mr. Wigfall is currently vice president of Shared Services Group, business support to Boeing.
• Ms. Krystal Oliveira (ex-officio) The Citadel Foundation
Dr. Virgil (Dan) Alfaro, M.D.,
Citadel '84, Biology
Dr. Alfaro is a prominent Charleston area physician.
Mr. Allen Wutzdorff Executive Director, The Education Foundation, a unit of the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce.