13 cadets receive scholarships thanks to Women’s Club Yard Sale
The Citadel Women’s Club has awarded 13 cadets more than $30,000 in John S. Carter Scholarships for 2011.
The scholarship funds are proceeds of The Citadel Women’s Club Annual Yard Sale, held annually in May since 1996. The scholarship is named in honor of John S. Carter, former head of the Department of Health, Exercise and Sport Science, in honor of his tireless dedication and service to the sale and his devotion to the cadets.
The 2011 recipients are:
- Narisa Lopez, High Point, N.C., Band Company
- Samuel Martin, Charleston, S.C., Sierra Company
- Justin Salinas, Sugar Land, Texas, Foxtrot Company
- Cooper Lott, Greenwood, S.C., Mike Company
- Blake Mistretta, Greer, S.C., Hotel Company
- Kyle Mellinger, Pasadena, Md., Papa Company
- Austin Gray, Charleston, S.C., Golf Company
- Ryan Faucher, Lake City, Fla., Band Company
- Cameron Hooks, North Charleston, S.C., November Company
- Angel Johnson, Hanahan, S.C., Kilo Company
- Benjamin Gordon, Long Beach, Calif., Mike Company
- Khalil Khoury, Spartanburg, S.C., Third Battalion Staff
- Michael J. Armstrong, Charleston, S.C., Kilo Company
The Citadel Women’s Club, originally The Citadel Faculty Wives’ Club, was organized in 1950 to promote social contact among the faculty and staff families and to support the interests of The Citadel. Today, the club consists of wives of faculty and administrators and female faculty and administrators. They meet throughout the year and serve The Citadel in many ways, including community service projects.