Purchasing Methods and Tools
Following are the types or kinds of purchasing methods or tools available for use by Citadel departments.
- Small Purchases - Purchases under $50,000 for repetitive items can be procured on an informal basis addressing competition at certain dollar limits.
- Under $2,500 - Department determines fair and reasonable cost.
- $2,501 - id="mce_marker"0,000 - Procurement Services is required to seek competition from at least three companies.
- id="mce_marker"0,001 - $50,000 Formal Request for Quotation is prepared and distributed by Procurement Services and must be advertised at least one week in SCBO (South Carolina Business Opportunities) publications.
- Competitive Sealed Bid (IFB) - Purchases for $50,000 and higher.
These bids require detailed specifications from the using department. Prior to the bid being sent out, the department is required to submit to Procurement an approved purchase requisition. Please allow 30 days to award.
- Competitive Sealed Proposal (RFP) - Generally for $50,000 and higher.
Proposals are received and evaluated by a selection committee. Awards will be made that are most advantageous to The Citadel. Please allow 60 days to award.
- Emergency Purchases - Address the needs which are a threat to public health, welfare, critical economy and efficiency or, safety by reason of floods, epidemics, riots, failures, fire or other reasons proclaimed by The Citadel’s President. All emergencies must be approved by the Vice President for Finance & Business Affairs and require written justification. All emergencies are reviewed by State Procurement Auditors every 3 years.
- Sole Source Purchases - Purchases that can be provided by only one source.
The Vice President for Finance & Business Affairs must approve all sole sources prior to purchase order being generated. A written justification must be submitted with the departmental purchase requisitions. All sole sources are reviewed every 3 years by State Procurement Auditors. The Procurement Services validates all justifications. (Forms are available on the Procurement web site.)
- State Contract - The Materials Management Office in Columbia provides agencies the following web site, which lists all state contracts. These contracts are for a variety of items and services. Departments are required to utilize these contracts whenever possible. Click here to view the state contract listing website.
- Citadel Contract - The Citadel Procurement Office has established smaller contracts for items and services utilized uniquely by The Citadel. Departments are required to utilize these contracts. Click here for a list of Citadel term contracts.