The original Padgett-Thomas Barracks was constructed in
1922. It was designed by Lockwood, Greene Engineers of Atlanta with help
from Coolidge and Shattuck Architects of Boston.
The remaining floors were
made up of 207 rooms that could house 438 cadets then.
Plans show that the designers had a much different idea in 1920 of what the building should be than what was built in 1922. Drawings show an 11-story tower rising 203 feet into the air. However, the tower was actually built to a height of 109 feet and eight stories. Inside was a water tank made of cypress boards surrounded by steel bands that provided reinforcement and helped keep the boards tightly together. Over the years, cadets found a way into the upper reaches of the tower and covered the tower walls and water tank with graffiti. Cadets are said to have gone for late night swims on hot, humid summer nights.
The new PT
The new Padgett-Thomas Barracks is a replica of the original building. However, modern building materials have been used to ensure the building meets current construction and earthquake codes. At 112,335-square-feet, the barracks can house 560 cadets in 265 rooms.
is named after Col. J.G. Padgett, an 1892 Citadel graduate and 20-year
veteran of the college's Board of Visitors, and Col. John Pulaski Thomas,
who graduated in 1893 and also went on to serve on the college's governing
Structural instability forced the closing of the original barracks in August 2000. The building was demolished in the spring and summer of 2001. Construction began in 2002.
total rebuilding project cost is estimated at $28 million. Funding comes
from a combination of state and federal dollars.
Numerous people had a hand in the two-year rebuilding project. Among the major contractors taking part were:
*The building's footprint is identical to the original 1922 barracks. The increase in square footage is due to construction of meeting rooms inside the tower. Previously the tower did not contain useable space.