The Military College of South Carolina Dare to Lead

Info Academics Admissions Alumni Cadet Life Graduate College Evening Undergrad Athletics Connect Giving
Close this window

Giving to The Citadel

  • The Citadel Foundation
  • Blueprint
  • The Citadel Brigadier Foundation

Citadel News Service

For Release
March 2, 2005

 Law Barracks to be razed

          
           Demolition is under way on The Citadel's Law Barracks, the last in the college's long-range barracks rebuilding plans. The barracks closed in May 2004.

Law Barracks at sunset on The Citadel campus.

          The interior has been gutted and windows and doors already removed to make way for the wrecking ball. On Thursday, March 3 contractors will begin taking down the 57,225-square foot building. Demolition will take several weeks.

           At the time that Law Barracks opened in 1939, the fact that it had hot and cold running water, individual clothing cabinets and stationary beds in all the rooms was important news for faculty, staff and cadets, according to campus and Charleston newspaper accounts from that year.

           Law Barracks is named for Evander M. Law, Class of 1856, a major general in the Confederate Army. He was instrumental in establishing the Florida educational system after the Civil War.

           Law Barracks construction will take about three years to complete. The $23 million cost is being paid for with institution revenue bonds and barracks account reserves.

           Among the college's other cadet housing facilities, Murray Barracks was built in 1926 and demolished and replaced in 1999. Padgett-Thomas Barracks, the first building constructed when the college moved from Marion Square in downtown Charleston in 1922, was demolished in 2001 and reopened in 2004. Watts Barracks was the first new barracks constructed in 1996. Stevens Barracks was built in 1942. No decision has been made yet on whether it will be rebuilt.


-end-


 

-end-