Services set for former dean and interim president
Major General Wallace E. Anderson, Citadel Class of 1934 and former academic dean, was euologized in a service in Summerall Chapel on Monday afternoon.
He was a major figure on The Citadel faculty for more than 40 years, going from an assistant professor of physics to dean of the college and briefly, interim president of The Citadel. General Anderson was instrumental in bringing a chapter of the honor society Phi Kappa Phi to The Citadel in May of 1979. Several physics majors have studied at The Citadel thanks to a scholarhip bearing his name.
A native of Florence, Anderson majored in physics and graduated as valedictorian of the Class of 1934. He received his master’s degree from the University of Kentucky and Ph.D. from the University of Michigan.
In 1936 he returned to The Citadel as an assistant professor of physics in 1936. He progressed through that department to associate professor and became a full professor and head of the department in 1953. In 1966, he was promoted to academic dean and in 1968, the Board of Visitors promoted him to the rank of brigadier general in the South Carolina Unorganized Militia. He was named vice president for academic affairs in 1970 and dean of the college in 1975, the same year he was promoted to the rank of major general.
He served as interim president of The Citadel from December 1978 to September of 1979 between the administrations of Lt. General George M. Seignious and Admiral James B. Stockdale.
General Anderson served for 30 years in the Officer Reserve Corps of the Army and was on extended active duty from 1942 to 1946. In 1946, he was awarded the Legion of Merit. Promoted to colonel in 1955, he retired from the reserves in 1964.
An article in the Fall 1978 Alumni News described General Anderson as a remarkable educator:
In 1973, he received the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award for “high thought and noble endeavor.” Five years later, The Board of Visitors awarded him the Palmetto Medal.
Expressions of sympathy
to the family may be made in the form of memorials to The General Wallace
E. Anderson Class of 1934 Scholarship Fund, The Citadel, 171 Moultrie
Street, Charleston, SC 29409.