Jan. 25, 2005
Citadel's Memorial Garden Tour highlights Church Street
The 7th annual Emily Whaley Memorial Garden Tour
will feature the beautiful gardens of Church Street, as well as two special
and elegant gardens on East Battery. Sponsored by The Citadel's Daniel
Library Friends, the tour raises money to support the library. This is
a rare opportunity to see the horticultural underpinnings in beautifully
tour is from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, March 13 beginning at ALKYON ARTS, 120
Meeting St. The self-guided tour costs $50 and reservations are required.
Call 843-953-7691. The tour provides transportation from East Battery
back to 120 Meeting St. where a gala reception will be held from 3 to
Street is Charleston's oldest city street and has elegant houses and gardens.
The James Veree House at 58 Church St. was the home of the famed gardener
Emily Whaley whose "Mrs. Whaley and Her Charleston Garden" has
been enjoyed by gardeners of all ages and sexes. This tour will feature
Mrs. Whaley's garden.
this year's tour are:
87 Church St.,
Heyward-Washington House Garden
in 1772 the house is owned by The Charleston Museum. The Charleston Garden
Club used plants typical of 18th century Charleston. The formal, geometric
garden has neat blocks with paths, with lovely camellias as focal points
in the parterres.
69 Church St.,
Capers-Motte House Garden
1750 double house has Gothic Revival outbuildings in the newly established
garden. There is a new kitchen in the first outbuilding and it looks out
on the graceful formal garden with fountain. The old privy provides a
new garden shed by the pool. The stable enclosure garden has wonderful
59 Church St.,
Thomas Rose House Garden
in 1735 this house is held by the Church Street Historic Foundation. The
elegant garden was designed in 1956 by Loutrell Briggs at the behest of
Juliette Staats. With colorful hanging baskets, the formal garden has
two exquisite statues of summer and winter. An ancient fig tree guards
the original kitchen outbuilding.
8 Church St., James
Veree House Garden
house dates from 1759, while Loutrell Briggs designed the garden in 1955.
Owned today by the talented artist and garden writer, Marty Whaley Cornwell,
this garden was the collaborative effort of Briggs and Emily Whaley. The
garden inhabits a long narrow space, 30 by 90 and is in three garden rooms.
The 19th century marble cupid provides a focal point for the shallow reflecting
38 Church St.,
Dr. Vincent Le Seigneur House Garden
extensive garden includes the best of Lowcountry planting: hollies, yew,
sweet olive, box, palmettos, and palms. The garden is suffused with water
sounds from the elegant fountain; crepe myrtles surround the terrace,
while a lady bankshire rose adorns the arbor.
33 Church Street,
Peter Tamplet House Garden
wonderful garden extends behind the two-story white house. A brick driveway
which always features a joggling board leads into a courtyard garden whose
southern exposure allows for colorful plantings in the spring and fall.
The garden was designed by Mary Palmer and Hugh Dargon.
31 Church St.,
Richard Birnie House Garden
lovely garden behind a white gate has a wonderful enclosure provided by
a huge magnolia and a tall wall. The microclimate makes for colorful spring
plantings to be enjoyed in the comfortable seating arrangement, enhanced
by the water focal point.
24 Church St.,
Thomas Ravenel House Garden
Wertimer designed this small formal garden that adds great grace and style
to this vintage Charleston brick house. A brick terrace leads back to
the garden gate. Ferns are planted under weeping cherries. A fountain
and peaceful Buddha are focal points.
9 East Battery,
Robert William Roper House Garden
garden provides a luxurious counterpoint to the monumental Greek revival
house. A green iron gate leads into a magnificent velvety green lawn.
Note the wonderful summerhouse to the right. Magnolias provide an imposing
enclosure for privacy, but allow views of the gleaming ocean.
51 East Battery,
Caspar Schutt House Garden
splendid garden rooms, designed by Sheila Wertimer, amplify and enhance
the glorious house with its triple-tiered piazzas. Palms and palmettos
enclose private spaces where the sound of water from an elegant fountain
lulls and soothes. Extensive gardens complement the original kitchen,
carriage house and stables.