The Military College of South Carolina Dare to Lead

Info Academics Admissions Alumni Cadet Life Graduate College Athletics Connect Giving
Close this window

Giving to The Citadel

  • The Citadel Foundation
  • Blueprint
  • The Citadel Brigadier Foundation

Citadel News Service

For Release
January 8, 2003

Emily Whaley Memorial Garden Tour set for March 9

         The 5th annual Emily Whaley Memorial Garden Tour captures a unique Charleston neighborhood in the beautiful new green of spring, when the good bones of well-designed gardens are evident.

         Charleston is known for its wonderful city gardens and this year's tour, which is sponsored by The Citadel's Daniel Library Friends, features grand historic gardens as well as superbly designed petit gardens. These are urban landscapes that are intricately aligned with old, historic houses. Owners have updated these spaces with pools, driveways and patios for today's lifestyle. Lush, colorful plantings of diverse low-country flora make these gardens a special treat

         The tour begins at 1 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2003. The self-guided tour costs $50 and reservations are required by March 4. Call 843-953-7691. The tour will be followed by a reception at 18 Legare St.

         On this year's tour are:

         -- 51 Legare St. - W.W. Wilkinson House 1876
This large Queen Anne style house with a turret has broad piazzas, a marvelous dolphin fed swimming pool in the center of an attractive garden bordered with an array of perennials.

         -- 43 Legare St. - Charles Elliott House 1759
The garden can be viewed through elegant wrought iron gates. The brick entrance is heavily planted in shade loving impatiens and ferns. The immense hanging baskets on the piazza are lush.

         -- 32 Legare St. - Sward Gate House 1805
With elegant wrought-iron gates designed by Christopher Werner, this very private, exquisite garden is enclosed in marvelous old brick walls. Sheila Wertimer has designed the new extensive and elegant gardens.

         -- 24 Legare St.
Walk back along the elegant brick walk to the "playhouse," and then enter a lovely oval garden thick with native plantings.

         -- 19 Legare St.
This vintage brick single house hides a beautifully designed secret garden. Brick walkways lead back beyond dependencies to this lush oasis.

         -- 18 Legare St. - George Lusher House 1810
This small Federal style Charleston single house with its wrapping piazzas is set back from the street with a front garden space in the early tradition of this area. Planting beds bring bees and birds close to the house, while the smooth contours of the lawn provide a sense of country living.

         -- 17 Legare St. - Anthony Toomer House 1797
Set deep on its 40-by-296-foot lot, this house was built by Anthony Toomer, a Revolutionary War veteran. Neoclassical additions include the piazzas. The garden surrounds the house.

         -- 15 Legare St. - John Fullerton House 1772
The Scottish carpenter John Fullerton erected this pre-Revolutionary dwelling in 1772. The two-story neoclassical piazza dates from 1800. The gardens are in three "rooms," including a swimming pool terrace, an oval with lush native planting off the piazzas, and a formal garden with sculpted crepe myrtle.

         -- 14 Legare St. - Simmons-Edward's House 1800
Francis Simmons built this imposing neoclassical single house. The brick gates show true English tuck-pointing. The stone pineapple finials were carved to resemble Italian pinecones. The recreation of the 19th century patterned garden is a work of art with a hexagonal summerhouse.

         -- 9 Legare St. - Harth-Macbeth House 1817
This imposing three-story single house sits on a high English basement. The south facing piazzas are a later addition. Two garden "rooms" can be enjoyed from the central terrace.

         -- 1 Legare St. - The Edward Blake House, 1760.
This marvelous garden with its huge oaks has an 18th century Bermuda stone wall on its south boundary. The garden's curves give it a romantic feel.

         -- 64 South Battery - William Gibbes House, 1772.
During the occupation of Charleston in 1780 the house was used as a hospital by the British army. In 1928 Cornelia Roebling restored it and added an extensive Loutrel Briggs' designed garden with a double-axial rose parterre, a water parterre, and a kitchen garden.

         -- 68 South Battery - Harth-Middleton House, 1800.
This imposing house was restored in the 1920's with a walled garden designed by Loutrel Briggs. The lush garden grounds include many focal points, a traditional gazebo, and a contemporary swimming pool terrace.

         For more information about the garden tour, call 843-953-7691.

-end-