Class of 2006 arrives Saturday
More than 600 freshmen are expected to arrive at The Citadel on Saturday, Aug. 17. That is just a fraction of the record 2,057 young men and women who sought admission this year to The Military College of South Carolina.
"The educational environment we provide continues to be in high demand," said John Powell, director of admissions. "At one point we had a waiting list of more than 250 applicants for this class. Already we have more than 300 applications and 11,000 prospects for the Class of 2007.
The Class of 2006 begins academic orientation this weekend. Military training gets under way Monday, Aug. 19, 2002, and includes remarks by South Carolina Corps of Cadets Regimental Commander Richard Neikirk of New Wilmington, Pa., and Commandant of Cadets Brig. Gen. Emory Mace.
"We're very pleased that The Citadel is fully enrolled and had a record application year," Citadel President Maj. Gen. John S. Grinalds said today. "We are equally thrilled with the caliber of students arriving on campus Saturday. They are a diverse and academically outstanding group of young men and women who will be challenged physically, mentally and academically to reach their highest potential."
Freshmen expected to matriculate include around 567 men and 50 women.
Citadel administrators have worked diligently over the summer to ensure that overcrowding problems experienced last year when upperclassmen returned are minimal this year, Grinalds said.
An estimated 1,352 upperclassmen are expected to report Aug. 25.
To minimize overcrowding in the barracks, which can house up to 1,912 people, fewer students were admitted to the Class of 2006. Last year a record 694 freshman reported on the first day.