October 30, 2002
History of The Citadel Alumni Association
"150 years of perpetuating friendships"
- Association of Graduates is founded on Nov. 19.
to 1867 - Association doesn't meet because most of the graduates are
fighting in the Civil
- The Citadel's buildings fall into the hands of federal troops in February.
- Nine graduates meet in April at the Charleston Hotel to consider reacquiring
buildings back from the federal government and reopening the school.
- All graduates whose addresses are known are invited on Dec. 14 to meet
to reorganize the association, adopt a constitution and by-laws and elect
this meeting, a campaign to reopen the school begins. A resolution requesting
to appoint a Board of Visitors is approved. The BOV would direct negotiations
The Citadel property.
- The federal government returns The Citadel property to the state and
the General Assembly
passes a bill authorizing the school's reopening and the repairing and
- The school reopens in the fall.
- The federal government settles a claim for rent by paying the state
a considerable sum of
money. The portions of the school burned during the federal occupancy
- The Association of Graduates helps pay to hire a school recruiter. The
student body more
to 1921 - The association finances, with subscriptions collected from
of Alumni Hall on the north end of the parade ground. Grimsley
Hall now stands on
- Name changed to The Association of Citadel Men
- Name changed to Citadel Alumni Association with the admission of women
to the South
Carolina Corps of Cadets.
- The John Monroe J. Holliday Alumni Center opens.
- The Citadel Alumni Association celebrates its sesquicentennial.