PADGETT-THOMAS BARRACKS FINALLY TOPPLED
The final stage in the demolition of The Citadel's Padgett-Thomas Barracks begins today. The building's signature tower -- the last piece still standing -- will be toppled at approximately 1:30 p.m.
Padgett-Thomas Barracks, the oldest building on The Citadel campus, is being razed to make way for a new dormitory and leadership learning laboratory for Citadel cadets. The barracks was the first building constructed in 1922 after the military college moved from Marion Square.
The barracks was closed in August 2000 because the aging building created a safety hazard for occupants. PT will be rebuilt and will look identical to the razed building.
Demolition began May 24.
The tower is the last piece to be razed because it is structurally the weakest part of the building and because work crews had to disassemble a wooden water tank located in the upper reaches of the tower.
The tank provided water to the barracks' fire protection sprinkler system, but it has not been used for that purpose for many years.
In days gone by, cadets would sneak into the tower on a sultry summer night and take a swim in the tank, which has etched in its wooden planks and scribbled in ink the names of cadets who lived in Padgett-Thomas Barracks. Some names date back to 1922 when the barracks first opened.
The tank was disassembled plank by plank and will be preserved for future display.
For more information, contact Public Affairs at 953-2155.