|
Saturday, April
26, 2002 from The Post and Courier Reprinted with permission.
 |
| U.S. Senator Daniel K. Inouye
of Hawaii is saluted by Frank Christopher Baez of Honolulu and
Kealiihooululahui M. Ichimura of Kaneohe (Hawaii) after laying
a wreath at the grave of Gen. Mark W. Clark. Photo by Russell
K. Pace. |
Sen.
Inouye joins Citadel barracks groundbreaking
BY SCHUYLER
KROPF
A U.S. senator who served under former Citadel president Mark Clark
in World War II placed a wreath at the general's campus grave Friday
and spoke of the need to support national defense.
U.S.
Sen. Daniel Inouye of Hawaii spoke of the pride that filled thousands
of Japanese-Americans who fought the Nazis and that of ordinary
Americans fighting terrorism today.
"Many
people come up and say to me we're spending too much for defense,"
he said. "But as far as I'm concerned, if a young man or woman is
willing to stand in harm's way in my behalf and in behalf of our
nation, nothing is too good."
He
visited The Citadel to attend the groundbreaking ceremony for replacement
of Padgett-Thomas Barracks, which were demolished last year for
safety reasons.
Inouye's
reception was enthusiastic, in part because he pushed Congress to
earmark $15 million in defense money to help replace the barracks.
The replacement should be ready for the 2004 school year.
Inouye
was accompanied by fellow Senate Democrat Fritz Hollings, Citadel
Class of '42.
In
a sense, the paths of the two senators first crossed on the morning
of Dec. 7, 1941, as the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. Inouye, then
17, joined a first-aid litter team evacuating civilians wounded
around Honolulu. Hollings, then a senior at The Citadel, listened
to news of the attack inside his barracks room.
Both
men ended up serving in Europe during the war in units in Gen. Mark
Clark's Fifth Army. In Italy, Inouye was shot in a gun battle with
German troops on a heavily defended hill and lost his right arm.
After recovering, he entered politics and is now in his seventh
term in the Senate.
Hollings
pointed out that as a Japanese-American serving when others were
being interned, Inouye "had to fight his country in order to fight
his enemies."
Inouye,
a member of the Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, said
he saw nothing out of line in appropriating federal dollars to rebuild
the "P-T" barracks. Inside P-T, he said, the training of tomorrow's
leaders will take place. "That is why the Congress felt it was appropriate
to use taxpayers' money to participate in the construction of this
building."
Inouye
helped secure $15 million in federal dollars for what is a $27 million
project. It will house about 550 beds.
The
old barracks, raised in 1922 and razed last year, was the first
built when the college moved to its present campus.
Before
leaving, Inouye announced another gift: He plans to get funding
for a new, $2.8 million indoor rifle range for the school.
|