FOR RELEASE - 20 October 2000
The Citadel names building in honor of Senator Hollings
The Citadel Board of Visitors has honored one of its most accomplished alumni by naming a new building in the alumni complex after Senator Ernest F. Hollings. The 30,000-square-foot building near the football stadium will serve as headquarters for the area U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The newly designated building is adjacent to the John Monroe Johnson Holliday Alumni Center on Hagood Avenue in Charleston.
In announcing the Board of Visitor's decision to name the new building in honor of Senator Hollings, Board Chairman Leonard Fulghum said, "It is most fitting that a building which serves the Army Corps of Engineers and citizens of the Lowcountry should bear the name of one of The Citadel's most distinguished public servants."
Senator Fritz Hollings, the fifth ranking member of the Senate, has devoted his career to public service, serving as governor of South Carolina from 1955-1959, and a member of the U.S. Senate since 1966. A 1942 graduate of The Citadel, Senator Hollings served in the U.S. Army during World War II and received the Bronze Star Medal and seven other campaign ribbons during his time on the European and North African fronts.
After the war, he attended law school at the University of South Carolina. At age 26, he was elected to the South Carolina House of Representatives, beginning his distinguished career in public service. Ten years later, Mr. Hollings became the youngest man in the 20th Century to be elected governor of South Carolina. During his years in the Senate, Senator Hollings has proved himself to be a long-standing advocate of fiscal responsibility in government and a staunch promoter of economic development in South Carolina.
Dedication for Hollings Hall is scheduled for November 17th.